Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9 rescues at Washington Park
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
https://wsbt.com/news/local/9-rescued-succe...holiday-weekend

A busier than expected weekend at Michigan City’s Washington Park beach led to hectic times for lifeguards and firefighters.

In two days, they ended up rescuing nine people and helped track down several missing children.

Rebekah Wood says she and her 3 kids won’t come to the beach without lifeguards.

"My eyes can't be everywhere, and I've got the three kids with me even with my husband. That extra set of eyes knowing that they're watching is very reassuring,” said Wood.
Sponsored Links
Video from our partners Brought to you by Taboola
The US States People Are Fleeing And The Ones They Are Moving ToForbes

Washington Park has 17 lifeguards, and they know without them it can be life or death on Lake Michigan.

On Saturday, a family of four was struggling to swim back to shore.

“The main situation is that people can't swim, or they start getting tired in the water and they're out too far and then they can swim back in, and they start struggling. Or they're chasing after a floaty,” said Ethan Piergalski, assistant head lifeguard.

The next day a young girl started to drown.

“Actually, it was her two cousins nearby that started to go in and try to help her, but they need our assistance as well,” said Randall Hallett, assistant head lifeguard.

After hours, two adults needed to be rescued by Michigan City firefighters.

Even after a successful weekend, the team continues training just in case.

With the beach busier than expected, it makes it even more challenging for these lifeguards.

“There are so many people with so many tents that they all kind of bunch the tents up together so it's really hard to even see the sand from the towers or from the chairs when we're guarding,” said Piergalski.

Assistant head lifeguard Randall Hallett is also an active Michigan City firefighter.

When the city didn’t have lifeguards two years ago, he spent most his time on beach patrol.

He’s proud to say the beach is safer.

“With having more people we've got zero deaths so far and I know that this time last year we probably had two deaths and I couldn't tell you how many incidents that we had,” said Hallett.

Which is why as Wood watches them train, all she can say is thank you.

“It's changed a lot and has created a lot of happy memories for my kids,” said Wood.

“I've been doing stuff like this for last 10 years. before this I was in the Navy. So, it doesn't occur to me, actually, the impact that I have like this is just a Tuesday for me,” said Hallett.

The lifeguards say they are proud to see the difference they make, but they also want to thank the community.

Knowing several tourists come and underestimate Lake Michigan's power, they've noticed the community helping keep each other safe.
diggler
QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 7 2022, 03:15 PM) *

Yeah, if the guns don't get you.....then the riptides will.

Miller Beach just claimed a bunch of swimmers:

Two drown at Gary beach Saturday, three others rescued

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.