I guess we shouldn't hold out hope for a productive session huh? They are already playing games and in-fighting and they are only trying to pick a leader among themselves.

Also interesting is that the MCAS lawyers quit because the MCAS is refusing to settle grievences early, and is instead getting into expensive litigation over them. The other part of that, is again we went out of MC to hire a firm to represent the school system. So much for the Strategic Plan and working with the community I guess. The thing that bothers me is that's more of our tax dollars going to something other than the actual classrooms, and there seems to be no one making that connection on the board.

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../03/news/n1.txt

Jeff Jones elected MCAS president

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

Kintzele didn't want to be nominated for post

The Michigan City Area Schools board elected officers Tuesday, but only after a few questions, a calmly stated disagreement and reference to the superintendent's contract.

Jeff Jones will serve as board president, Jim Kintzele as vice president and newly-elected member Kathryn Lee as secretary.

Board member Beryle Burgwald said he intended to nominate Kintzele to the presidency. Before the meeting, however, Burgwald said Kintzele asked him not to make the nomination because Kintzele believed he did not have the votes to be elected. He voted against Jones.

Asking the board to see his vote against Jones not as a personal attack, Burgwald explained, “I cannot reward anyone with an office who voted for the superintendent's contract.”

Superintendent Michael Harding did not attend Tuesday's meeting.

Later in the meeting, board member Nathaniel Gipson raised an objection to Kintzele's reluctance to be nominated for president. Kintzele, Gipson said, could not have known how everyone was going to vote.

“No one knew how I was going to vote,” he said.

Nonetheless, Gipson and board member Rick Carlson voted against Kintzele for the vice presidency.

Lee was unanimously chosen.

A short discussion ensued when it was time to appoint a board attorney. Often, when the school corporation was represented by Friel and Friel, the father-and-son partnership of Jack (the father) and Dan Friel, the board simply reappointed the law firm with little discussion.

After seven years of negotiating contracts and labor disputes for the MCAS, however, the Friels severed their relationship with the school corporation effective last July 1. Jack Friel said the superintendent's reluctance to settle labor disputes early in the process told him the school system needed a strong litigant, someone to argue the cases in court. Friel said his firm prefers to negotiate issues.

Board member Clyde Zeek asked the board to ask for proposals from law firms before hiring anyone. The board agreed.

The board now works with the firm of Hopener, Wagner and Evans, Valparaiso, and with Baker and Daniels, South Bend. Burgwald said he would prefer to see the school corporation's business go to a local firm.

“I cannot believe that all the knowledge on school law lies outside the school district,” he said.

Also Tuesday, the board appointed Kintzele to continue as parliamentarian and Zeek the board's legislative liaison.

Business Manager Theo Boone will serve as treasurer and Paulette Barkow, Boone's financial assistant, as deputy treasurer. By law, the treasurer positions cannot go to board members.

Tonya Falls will continue to serve as executive secretary to the board.

The board also reappointed Kenneth Rottman to the Michigan City Public Library board. Rottman is a retired dentist.

Finally, the board made no changes in its meeting schedule. In 2007, board meetings will be at 6 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month except in December, when the board meets on the first and third Tuesdays.

Tuesday's assembly represented a special meeting for reorganization. The board also is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 9 and 23.

Unless otherwise noted, meetings are in the board room of the MCAS administration building, 408 S. Carroll Ave.