http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../03/news/n4.txt

attorneys still vie for City Council position

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

City Council members won't have to worry about finding a new council attorney willing to work for the relatively small salary the job pays.

They will, however, have to worry about making sure they interview the eight candidates at a time and place that will make everyone happy.

“I understand we appointed a committee to make a recommendation, but I think all council member should be able to vote on who they want,” 1st Ward Councilman Chuck Lungren said Tuesday. “I want to know the answers (candidates) give to the questions, and maybe even ask some questions myself.”

Lungren and 2nd Ward Councilman Paul Przybylinski on Tuesday questioned the timing of interviews to be conducted to whittle down the list of candidates.

At-Large Councilwoman Virginia Martin scheduled eight, half-hour interviews with attorney candidates for Jan. 13, beginning at 11 a.m. at City Hall.

Martin, Evelyn Baker and Pat Boy will meet with the candidates in executive session and recommend three or four applicants for further consideration.

Lungren and Przybylinski won't be able to attend the meeting, and asked for a change in time so both can be involved in the process. Both want to be able to ask questions of the candidates, despite the fact the committee is simply making recommendations.

Martin told Przybylinski the committee has a set agenda in which it will ask each candidate the same five questions.

“You can't ask one candidate a different question than all the rest,” she said. “To be fair, you have to ask them all the same questions.”

When the council first began looking for a replacement for Alevizos - who had to quit as attorney when he was elected LaPorte Circuit Court Judge - some feared the $10,000 “not-to-exceed” annual salary would turn candidates away.

“They all heard the salary, and they're all OK with it,” Martin said.

Council members each received resumes from all eight applicants and likely will meet as a group to discuss the committee's recommendations after they are made.

The recommendations will be made in executive session.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.