Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LaPorte looking at anti-illegal laws
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs....ews01/612060421

LaPorte looks at undocumented
Council member proposes illegal immigration law.

STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

LAPORTE -- A LaPorte City Council member's plan to crack down on illegal immigrants in the city has raised concerns on both sides of the immigration issue.

Raising concerns echoed nationwide about overburdened hospitals and schools, crime, and declining wages and neighborhoods, council member Tim Stabosz introduced a measure calling for a system for rooting out illegal immigrants.

Among other things, at least two police officers a year from the local force would be required to undergo immigration enforcement training.

Assisting local police would be a "hot line" for residents to call and report suspected illegal immigrant activity.

Stabosz said he brought the proposal to the council after meeting with resident Mike Strauss, who's among a vocal group of residents frustrated at the effort to curb illegal immigration at the federal level.

In response to claims the measure is driven by hate, Stabosz said, "This is not about creating a hostile atmosphere. This is not an issue of diversity. It's an issue of legality."

"Those persons are criminals right from the very beginning. They should be treated as such," said resident Bob Pointon.

Other support was expressed by Greg Serbon of the Valparaiso-based Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement.

"Eighty-five percent of the people want the laws enforced. It's just the government is not doing it," said Serbon.

He said some recent statistics show Indiana is now fifth nationwide in terms of being a destination for illegal immigrants.

"It's hitting us in the pocket deeply," he said.

Speaking out against the proposal was Luis Miramontes, director of the El Puente Community Center in LaPorte, which assists the local Latin community in a variety of areas such as employment, education and housing.

He said immigration is part of the nation's heritage.

"It is what makes us strong economically. If this is approved, the council will hang a large 'keep out' sign for LaPorte County," said Miramontes.

The council did not take action, preferring to hear back from the police department first, given law enforcement's large role in the possible undertaking.

City Attorney Art Roule Jr. said it was his opinion that local police departments have no legal authority to enforce federal law.

He also said LaPorte would likely wind up in court, as have the handful of other communities that have enacted similar proposals.

"To me, this opens the door to an array of legal problems," Roule said.
Ang
I support LaPorte in its effort to eliminate illegal aliens. I Europe, you cannot be in the country without a Visa. You can't work with a Work Visa. You must renew it before it expires in order to stay in the country. If you do not renew, you are deported--back to where you came from. Also, in Europe, before a Visa is awarded, the applicant's background is investigated to ensure they are not criminals, they are monitored while their Visa is active and investigated again before their Visa is renewed. Finally, they are only allowed so many Visas before they have to apply for citizenship or go back to where they came from. We should do the same. Yes, our Country was founded on immigration, but it IS America, whose national language is English, with hard working, tax paying Americans to support it. In Europe, if you do not learn the language of the country you are in, they will not talk to you or even help you. We should be more like Europe in that respect.
Roger Kaputnik
some thoughts: there are places in the US where the native language is NOT English. Not all over, but it does exist. And you know what my favorite bumper sticker is? "If you can't speak English, you ain't American!" By the way, that is copyrighted by me.

In the US, you have to have a taxpayer identification number to work. If you do not have one, you cannot be paid. The capitalists who pay illegal aliens in cash and do not do the proper tax withholding, etc., should have major penalties to pay--they are the ones ripping off the rest of us taxpayers!

The problem with the local police doing the anti-immigrant stuff sounds like it will result in totalitarian-style snitching of neighbor on neighbor. This could be alleviated by penalizing false reporting, say, with a $10,000 fine per falsely reported person.

I remind everyone of the danger of falling into the sinfulness of racism.

Ang
I wasn't being racist. Having lived in another country, I fully understand what it's like to be discriminated against. Europeans have a dim view of Americans, let me tell ya! My feelings circulate around the word "illegal." I don't care if people from other countries live in the US, but they should learn our language, register with immigration, pay taxes, and blend in with the the rest of Americans. They should welcome our customs, holidays, and religeous views and accept them as their own, not try to get us to stop practing them because they find it offensive. If they don't like the way we do things, then why come to this country? I'll stop now cause this soapbox could be HUGE!
Southsider2k12
From a historical basis, somethings are really misportrayed today. The idea that people came to the US in past generations and immeidately learned English is a very big one. For the most part when a major migration came to the US, these ethnicities settled in areas with like people, and the initial migrant generation, really never learned English, or assimilated into the American culture. This is exactly why there is a "Chinatown", "Little Italy", or a "Greektown" in most major 19th century metropolitian areas. History shows us that it was their kids (the second generation) who learned English (as well as their native language), graduated high school, and got good jobs. By the third or forth generation, they have quit learning their native tongues and for all practical purposes, they are Americans.

The major migrations from Mexico and Central/South America really are no different than anything we have seen throughout US history, complete with the zenophobia that is pedaled for political gain in the US.

The adjustment we have to make in our modern world, complete with terror threats are many. The first one we need to do is to set up a program for potential immigrants to apply for jobs in their home countries, at the US consulate, in conjunction with American companies. In this respect the entire world would compete to enter our job market, and not just those with the geographic advantages of being close to the US. We also have to remove the incentive to enter the US illegally, by removing all incentives for companies to hire illegal labor. If you start fining companies who observe illegal hiring practices, that removes the profit incentive to be had by breaking labor laws. It also has the effect of not giving jobs to people who are here illegally, which means they won't risk life, and limb to get here. And it also will keep illegal migrants from being put into potentially dangerous situations both at the workplace and where they live (such as the incident at the home owner by the "Fortune House" owners.)

The problem is what do we do with the 11 million or so people who are already here illegally, and that problem has me stumped. If we "send them back" we destroy many of our industries who are dependant on this labor, but if we give them amnesty, we literally reward them for breaking our laws. I am not sure what the solution is there.
Lars
[size=2]

Businesses that "depend" on illegal labor to survive will either have to pay more money to legal workers or fail. More "legal" people would do those jobs if the pay was better.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Lars @ Dec 13 2006, 04:35 AM) *

[size=2]

Businesses that "depend" on illegal labor to survive will either have to pay more money to legal workers or fail. More "legal" people would do those jobs if the pay was better.

A definate factor in all of this is that big business does not want to see illegal, ie cheap, labor go away. There is a reason that nothing ever gets done on this issue, and that is for many companies it would mean an explosive increase in the costs of doing business. I am a firm believer in the fact that we might not even need a minimum wage if we could control immigration into the US better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.