http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47843.67

Jail Time May Elude Man Accused Of Molesting Boy

Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - A man accused of molesting a boy might not do any jail time under a guilty plea taken under advisement Friday in La Porte Circuit Court.

That may not rest well with the mother of the alleged victim, who wrote a letter to the court that said, "I believe what my son went through deserves the maximum punishment possible. If he hurt my son this way, how many others are in danger?"

Mark Coil, 41, 5322 S. County Road 625 West, pleaded guilty to battery, a Class D felony. If Judge Tom Alevizos accepts the plea, Coil would receive three years of probation.

Originally, Coil was arrested for Class C felony child molesting, which is punishable by up to eight years in prison.

The change in charges raised concerns from Alevizos.

Defense attorney David Jones told Alevizos the claims of child molesting against Coil were questionable, an assessment agreed upon by LaPorte County Deputy Prosecutor Chris Fronk.

"There were problems with the evidence in the case," Jones said.

According to court records, La Porte police in January began investigating claims from a 12-year-old boy that Coil sexually abused him and his brother. He said the acts included the use of ketchup and occurred about three years ago.

Court records said the boy also claimed Coil told the two boys not to tell anyone or he would "put the boys in their graves."

When questioned, the boy was staying at a children's home in Mishawaka for being a sexual predator against his younger brother and sister, which hurt the credibility of the allegations, according to court records.

However, a case worker told police the boy passed a lie detector test.

According to police, Coil admitted having sex with the brothers, but said one of the boys initiated the contact. The younger brother told investigators, though, he could not remember being sexually abused or seeing his brother molested.

In her letter, the mother of the boys said she grew up with Coil and described him as being raised in a church and holding a steady job.

"Don't tell me his mental state made him fondle my son," she said. "I believe he knew what he was doing and poses a threat to others."

Alevizos took the plea agreement under advisement and scheduled a hearing for Nov. 16 to decide whether to accept the deal.

Also in Circuit Court Friday, Jeremy Payne, 27, was charged with rape and sexual misconduct with a minor, both Class B felonies. According to court records, the Arkansas man is accused of forcing himself on a 15-year-old girl in La Porte sometime at the end of 2006.

Court documents show a warrant was issued for Payne's arrest Aug. 3 after evidence was presented in court. Payne was being held on $3,500 cash bond and given a March 10 trial date.