Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Altercation between JROTC teacher and student
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=5064

MCHS Searching For New JROTC Instructor
Instructor resigned last week after an incident during a testing session.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A search has begun to find a new instructor for the JROTC program at Michigan City High School following the instructor's abrupt resignation last week.

"We are doing all we can to find a new instructor," Assistant Superintendent Carla Iacona said Monday.

The search for a JROTC instruction will be the second since the program's founder, Maj. Larry Naifeh died in 2006. His death left the program's future up in the air; although MCAS hired 1st Sgt. Marty Pluchinsky to run the program, he resigned at the end of last school year.

Pluchinsky's replacement, Gunnery Sgt. Julius Miles, 47, a retired Marine who lives in Illinois, confirmed Monday that he has resigned as instructor.

He said his resignation is the result of an incident with a student on Thursday, Sept. 20, in which Miles said he filed a battery report with the Michigan City Police Department, accusing a 16-year-old boy of punching him in the jaw.

The boys' parents then filed a battery report in which they say Miles punched their son.

Miles admits he punched the student.

"It was a purely reactionary thing," he said.

Miles said he regrets throwing the punch, and on Sunday, Sept. 23, he went into the high school, collected his personal belongings and left his resignation letter.

"I knew it was in everyone's best interest that I resign," he said.

Miles said the incident happened during GQE testing. He said the student had been sent away from another teacher's classroom on Tuesday, Sept. 18, for causing a disruption during testing. On Wednesday and Thursday, he was back in school, said Miles.

"To tell the truth, I didn't think students were taking any of the test after missing a part of it."

The GQE is a six-hour test given over three days.

A directive from the Indiana Department of Education to students says, "You have to be present for testing on all three days. There are no make-ups."

Miles said he asked the student to stop talking to another student during the exam and to turn around in his seat and face the front of the classroom.

Soon, he said, it became clear the student likely would not comply. "I didn't want to embarrass him and I took him into the hallway," he said.

In the hallway, Miles said, the student let loose with a string of profanities and vulgarities, many of them directed at the instructor. He called Miles a number of foul names, the instructor said.

During the Monday interview with Miles, he spelled the objectionable words to The News-Dispatch to avoid pronouncing them.

Miles said the student then punched him in the jaw after the instructor ordered him to the principal's office.

While making no excuses for his reaction, Miles said, "Unfortunately, there are some kids who don't belong in school. They're not there to learn but to cause discontent and hate."

Miles said he was sorry to leave his group of more than 100 JROTC students. "We were planning some great things," he said. "Already, the students were enjoying going outside to march."

Miles said he had always wanted to have an opportunity to be a positive influence on the lives of young people. He said he doesn't want anyone to worry about him or to feel sorry for him.

"This program is about kids, not about me," he said.

The News-Dispatch was unable to reach the student's parents.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

Southsider2k12

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=5064

MCHS Searching For New JROTC Instructor
Instructor resigned last week after an incident during a testing session.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A search has begun to find a new instructor for the JROTC program at Michigan City High School following the instructor's abrupt resignation last week.

"We are doing all we can to find a new instructor," Assistant Superintendent Carla Iacona said Monday.

The search for a JROTC instruction will be the second since the program's founder, Maj. Larry Naifeh died in 2006. His death left the program's future up in the air; although MCAS hired 1st Sgt. Marty Pluchinsky to run the program, he resigned at the end of last school year.

Pluchinsky's replacement, Gunnery Sgt. Julius Miles, 47, a retired Marine who lives in Illinois, confirmed Monday that he has resigned as instructor.

He said his resignation is the result of an incident with a student on Thursday, Sept. 20, in which Miles said he filed a battery report with the Michigan City Police Department, accusing a 16-year-old boy of punching him in the jaw.

The boys' parents then filed a battery report in which they say Miles punched their son.

Miles admits he punched the student.

"It was a purely reactionary thing," he said.

Miles said he regrets throwing the punch, and on Sunday, Sept. 23, he went into the high school, collected his personal belongings and left his resignation letter.

"I knew it was in everyone's best interest that I resign," he said.

Miles said the incident happened during GQE testing. He said the student had been sent away from another teacher's classroom on Tuesday, Sept. 18, for causing a disruption during testing. On Wednesday and Thursday, he was back in school, said Miles.

"To tell the truth, I didn't think students were taking any of the test after missing a part of it."

The GQE is a six-hour test given over three days.

A directive from the Indiana Department of Education to students says, "You have to be present for testing on all three days. There are no make-ups."

Miles said he asked the student to stop talking to another student during the exam and to turn around in his seat and face the front of the classroom.

Soon, he said, it became clear the student likely would not comply. "I didn't want to embarrass him and I took him into the hallway," he said.

In the hallway, Miles said, the student let loose with a string of profanities and vulgarities, many of them directed at the instructor. He called Miles a number of foul names, the instructor said.

During the Monday interview with Miles, he spelled the objectionable words to The News-Dispatch to avoid pronouncing them.

Miles said the student then punched him in the jaw after the instructor ordered him to the principal's office.

While making no excuses for his reaction, Miles said, "Unfortunately, there are some kids who don't belong in school. They're not there to learn but to cause discontent and hate."

Miles said he was sorry to leave his group of more than 100 JROTC students. "We were planning some great things," he said. "Already, the students were enjoying going outside to march."

Miles said he had always wanted to have an opportunity to be a positive influence on the lives of young people. He said he doesn't want anyone to worry about him or to feel sorry for him.

"This program is about kids, not about me," he said.

The News-Dispatch was unable to reach the student's parents.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
JHeath

Again, the statement comes up that brings back thoughts of the alternative high school....and why it was such a great concept. *sigh*
lovethiscity
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 3 2007, 01:03 PM) *

Again, the statement comes up that brings back thoughts of the alternative high school....and why it was such a great concept. *sigh*

I agree about the alterative high school, these kids are not there to cause hate and discontent. Thay are most likely screaming for help. With troubled homes, passing through the system while not learning or one of many reasons these kids may not feel they fit in. They may act out to hide the fact they do not understand what is being taught. Acting bad to a teen is a whole lot better than appearing stupid. So if it is true that it takes a village to raise a child....... we all are failing. When we fail the kids (which we in Michigan City are) we need not blame them for the behavior problems we are in part responsible for.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Oct 3 2007, 09:29 PM) *

I agree about the alterative high school, these kids are not there to cause hate and discontent. Thay are most likely screaming for help. With troubled homes, passing through the system while not learning or one of many reasons these kids may not feel they fit in. They may act out to hide the fact they do not understand what is being taught. Acting bad to a teen is a whole lot better than appearing stupid. So if it is true that it takes a village to raise a child....... we all are failing. When we fail the kids (which we in Michigan City are) we need not blame them for the behavior problems we are in part responsible for.

Here's a little fact that most people do not know. Pretty much unless the parent asks not to, a child is socially promoted until 9th grade when they have to start earning credits under Indiana state law. I know that kids with straight "F's" that are passed to the next grade, and have been for years. There is also nothing to stop them from taking part in extra curricular activities despite those grades until IHSAA guidelines kick in at the high school level.
Ang
My son was socially promoted. It did more harm than good IMO. They said it's because they want to keep him with his peers and whether or not he passes middle school is moot. The only "important" grades are high school. Well, because he failed in middle school he failed in high school. Middle school is supposed to prepare you for high school, but MCAS acts like it's a way-station.
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 4 2007, 10:05 AM) *

Middle school is supposed to prepare you for high school, but MCAS acts like it's a way-station.

Or a "half-way" station...

The same thing happens with students in the special ed programs, They are consistently under-challenged, and are socially promoted to the next grade level for the very same reason...peers.

I wonder, what are we really teaching them by doing this?
Ang
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 4 2007, 10:13 AM) *

I wonder, what are we really teaching them by doing this?

IMO we are teaching them that you don't have to apply yourself to get ahead. It's okay to be a slacker. It's okay to not respect yourself or others. We are teaching them there are no repercussions for negative behavior.

The sad part is that life is not that way. They learn that the hard way as they get older. My son told me this before he left for job corps. He said to me, "You know Mom, if they had held me back in the 6th grade when I started failing, I would've worked harder to be better and I wouldn't have to be going away to get a handle on what life is really like." Pretty profound for a 17 year old, I thought.
Southsider2k12
What is sad is that your 17 year old gets what we are paying someone else almost $130,000 to NOT understand. Ugh.
Roger Kaputnik
Once again, the Head of MCAS is rotten. When, oh, when are we going to get a better administration? Which applecart do we have to tip? Whose ox has to get gored?
Southsider2k12
Its all about your school board candidates. Its public knowledge who voted for the Harding extension and who did not. If you want Harding out, make sure the first question that you ask the candidates is if they would vote for another Harding extension when his contract comes up for renewal.
lovethiscity
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 5 2007, 09:44 AM) *

Its all about your school board candidates. Its public knowledge who voted for the Harding extension and who did not. If you want Harding out, make sure the first question that you ask the candidates is if they would vote for another Harding extension when his contract comes up for renewal.

Unfortunately, not unlike the social promotion of the children through the system, Michigan City voters build the boards and government in general on a popularity basis. Not electing the best people for the job.
Ang
Yeah, they vote by the names they know, not who the people actually are. Tragedy
Roger Kaputnik
Further proof that the normal colleges are messing us up? Their graduates just moved the istep to Spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.