Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Endorsing Candidates
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Marram
I am a little tired of the Chamber of Commerce and the Teacher's Association telling me which candidates to choose. Neither of those organizations even poll their members, so in essence it is a group of four to eight individuals representing groups with many members who are not even Cityzens investing money in order to influence our elections.

What about one of the neighborhood groups endorsing candidates? Or a church? Heck, I'd even take a Stephen Colbert recommendation because at least he would be outfront with his ulterior motives.

And yes, Kaputnik, I know it should be "for whom," but I was going for rhythm there.

Dave
As an active member of a neighborhood group, I doubt we would be doing any candidate endorsements, at least this time around. Our councilman is running unopposed, as is the mayor. As for congress or presidential elections, well, who cares what a little neighborhood group's opinion is on that? I know I couldn't care less who the Outer Hoboken Neighborhood Association endorses for president, on that I'll do my own research and make my own decision.

As for churches making candidate endorsements, I doubt you'll ever see that, for the simple reason that it would put their 501[c](3) tax exempt status in jeopardy.
Southsider2k12
Interesting discussion topic smile.gif

I decided to post who I would vote for in the primaries because I thought it would be an excellent educational tool. If you are willing to say "who", you should be able to say "why", which is sorely lacking both at the local and national levels today. I think it is an excellent idea, because it also brings accountablility back to the local level, which we also have been lacking.
Roger Kaputnik
I agree strongly with southsider. We have to take back the gov't and it starts at the local level. Get involved somewhere!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.