Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paralyzed guard suing Porter Bank
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=30674.27

Guard Suing Porter Bank
Shot in 2002, Keith Hill is seeking verdict to help pay for his medical bills.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

PORTAGE - Like the man convicted of killing two tellers in the same bank robbery in which he was shot and paralyzed, Keith Hill is waiting.

But while Nasih Kahlil Ra'id is waiting to see if he'll die in the execution chamber at the federal prison in Terre Haute, Ind., Hill is waiting to see if he'll get at least something in return for the life he nearly gave up to protect his place of employment.

"We're still in discovery," said Hill's Portage attorney, Don Rice. "The bank is dragging its feet in giving us access to documents. Keith's deposition was taken five weeks ago. There probably won't even be a trial on this until next year at this time."

The lawsuit was filed in Porter County.

Ra'id, a Michigan City man formerly known as Odell Corley, is appealing the federal death sentence he was handed in 2005. The U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals still has to hear the case.

Hill was the first person shot in the deadly botched robbery of the Pines Branch of the First State Bank of Porter.

Ra'id was convicted and sentenced to death.

Hill is waiting to see what he can get from the bank he was guarding in August 2002, when Ra'id and accomplices burst into the bank and started shooting.

Rice filed the lawsuit some two years ago, and while he wouldn't comment on the amount of money Hill is asking for in the suit. But Rice did say his client is looking for enough money to help pay for his ongoing medical care.

"We're talking about

continuous, 16-hour-a-day medical care. It's extremely costly," Rice said. "When you project that out over the rest of his life, plus compensatory damages, it's a great deal of money."

While Rice said he's waiting to receive documents from the bank's attorney, Bruce Clark, he said the trial's slow pace is not unusual.

Clark agreed, but disagreed with the allegation he hasn't provided Rice with requested documents.

"Mr. Rice has never submitted requests for the production of documents," Clark said. "The defense has been very proactive in this matter. The proper way to request documents is through discovery. If he asks ... we will provide the proper answers."

Clark said the main reason for the delay is likely a backlog in the court system.

"This is a very unfortunate situation," Clark said. "We've definitely been very proactive in this. We worked very hard to get the deposition. This is just a tragic occurrence that resulted from a horrific criminal action. We certainly sympathize with the situation. But we truly do not feel the bank is at fault."

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
Roger Kaputnik
Wasn't he covered by insurance? Why would the bank be at fault for any of this?
Dave
I must be missing something. I would think that Mr. Hill would be covered by workers compensation, which is a no-fault sort of thing -- get injured at work, you get compensated. I wonder if Mr. Hill was working as an independant contractor somehow. That could require some kind of negligence on the part of the bank in order for Mr. Hill to recover damages, but that is going to be a tough row for Mr. Hill to hoe.

"Judge, the bank was negligent in not protecting people inside it from armed gunmen," sez the plaintiff's lawyer.
"Wasn't protecting people inside the bank from armed gunmen pretty much what the bank hired the plaintiff to do in the first place?" asketh the judge.
"Errr..." responds the plaintiff's lawyer.

Though I have to say, I don't know much about Indiana negligence law, or what Mr. Hill's theory of the case is. I could easily be wrong.

Standard Disclaimer follows:
While I am a lawyer, I am not an Indiana lawyer, not Mr. Hill's lawyer, nor the bank's lawyer, and gentle reader, I am most definately not your lawyer, unless you are in Illinois and have paid me money. Above comments should not be considered legal advice. No warranties, express or implied. Shake well before serving. Refrigerate after opening. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle.
Roger Kaputnik
You left out: Not every method is 100% effective, except for abstinence.
Ang
Also: Not for human consumption. In case of accidental over-dose, please consult a poison control center immediately.
ChickenCityRoller
It seems absurd that Mr. Hill has had to wait this long to get compensation. I knew both Kay and Chandler, two people who died in that robbery and this pisses me off. Is Rayed Shaid whatever he wants to be called any relation to Corley the police officer?
Roger Kaputnik
The question is from whom Mr. Hill gets compensation beyond what he gets for his medical bills. I agree that this is a long time to be waiting for it.
Ang
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 23 2007, 10:42 AM) *

It seems absurd that Mr. Hill has had to wait this long to get compensation. I knew both Kay and Chandler, two people who died in that robbery and this pisses me off. Is Rayed Shaid whatever he wants to be called any relation to Corley the police officer?

I am friends with Marty and it never occurred to me to ask him. I wonder if the two are related. It's possible since they are both MC natives. If I'm in town and see Marty, I'll be sure to ask him about that. I'm planning a trip home for March, I know it's a long way off, but if I see Marty and we don't have an answer to that question before then, I'll be sure to find out.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 23 2007, 02:34 PM) *

I am friends with Marty and it never occurred to me to ask him. I wonder if the two are related. It's possible since they are both MC natives. If I'm in town and see Marty, I'll be sure to ask him about that. I'm planning a trip home for March, I know it's a long way off, but if I see Marty and we don't have an answer to that question before then, I'll be sure to find out.

Marty Corley has friends?! I've had to deal with him on a couple occasions where I was the victim and I found him to be rude, arrogant and incompentent. That's the reason I posted my initial question is because I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if they are related.
Ang
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 27 2007, 08:11 PM) *

Marty Corley has friends?! I've had to deal with him on a couple occasions where I was the victim and I found him to be rude, arrogant and incompentent. That's the reason I posted my initial question is because I wouldn't be in the least bit suprised if they are related.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I've never seen that side of him. I've always known him to be polite and courteous. And when in uniform, he's always professional and respectful. When he worked athletic events for me, same thing, nothing but courtesy and respect. I don't know the circumstances surrounding your experiences with Marty, but I've never seen that in him and I think he's a wonderful cop and a nice guy too.

However, seeing as how you feel about him, I won't ask him if he's related to the bank robber. I'm sure he's been asked that a lot anyway, and personally I don't care (or I'm sure I would've asked him sooner).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.