Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Step up MC!
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40890.55

All City Residents Need To Get More Involved
Michigan City has a lot on its plate in the next few years. We as a community have to figure out "What's next." This may be a very hard task considering the low voter turnout and lack of participation in meaningful community activities. We tend to blame so much on elected officials when something doesn't meet our needs or goes against what we believe. In reality, decisions should be made based on what the community wants. This is very hard when only a select few are voicing their opinion.

I had the opportunity to shadow Ms. Rocchio at Barker Middle School last week. I thank the Barker staff and students for their welcome and frankness about their experiences. I was pleasantly surprised on the diversity of the staff at Barker. The demographics actually reflected Michigan City (gender, age, race, etc.). I was disappointed with the lack of community participation in teacher shadowing.

For Michigan City to thrive, it is imperative that the whole community participates in some of these events. Every organization is struggling with volunteers and money. We tend to say we don't have time. Most volunteers already carry a heavy load (work, school, family, etc.).

If we could get every able citizen to donate four hours a month to some cause, we would tally a minimum of 40,000 hours in a month.

There are key areas we all should focus on: schools, children, neighborhoods, local government and health. All of these areas impact economic growth. Visit the schools, mentor a child, go to school board meetings, volunteer at a local youth agency, join a neighborhood group, go to local city government meetings.

With a declining economy we have to pull together to become a better community.

I thank all the voters who came out during the primary and general elections. I appreciate the support and donations I received in my campaign. I send a special thanks to the Lakeland Neighborhood residents, Krueger Neighborhood Association, Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce, Michigan City Fire Fighters Union, South Shore Railroad, Michigan City Women Democrats Club, The News-Dispatch, WEFM, WIMS, Eat at Moe's, Simmer Coffee House, my Michigan City High School volunteers, Scott Pelath, and all of my friends/family that knocked on doors and worked the polls.

If anyone wants more information on volunteer opportunities, help on an issue, or to offer advice, feel free to call me

It's time to move forward in our great city. I'll do my best as your new City Council woman!

Angie Starks

Michigan City

Roger Kaputnik
If we live outside MC, can we still join Angie's Army?
RedDevilMC
Of course you can!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.