Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sartoria
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City at rest
Roger Kaputnik
This thread is to discuss matters of style, especially regarding clothes.

Here are some things to get the ball rolling:

1. I have seen enough of the underwear-revealing clothes women AND men wear. What happened to normal, healthy modesty? Imaginez la différence, I say. And, gentlemen, now that you are wearing big boys pants, HITCH 'EM UP. And I don't think anyone wants to see veiny bellies bulging out from between pants and shirts.

2. Young men are back to wearing hair long and unkempt. Besides the appearance, the effect on facial blemishes should be considered. I am definitely not advocating a return to mid-70s coiffure, but the renascent grunge look is grubby. Buy a comb, learn to use it.

Ang
Facial piercings and gauging ears. My son came home with a hole in his ear so big he can put a pen through it! Don't young people realize how unsightly that is? They are not taken seriously anymore and can't figure out why. I say it's because people are too distracted by all the metal that they don't listen. And think of the scars that will be left behind when the piercings are outgrown.
Roger Kaputnik
If one is not taken seriously because of one's piercings, one must conclude that the decision to pierce was not a good one.
MichiganCityDDS
Regarding ties, Gentle Reader, remember to update them. This was recently brought home to me when I wore a tie that in the interval from when purchased to last Sunday went from à la mode to démodé. What stung was that the classic pattern had gone from being somewhat ironic in youth to being just plain old.
Tim
Do not dress like this -
MichiganCityDDS
QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 16 2010, 12:20 AM) *
Do not dress like this -
How did we know it was WalNart...
Ang
laugh.gif I still call it that, too!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
MichiganCityDDS
The Brophy Rule: JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN GET IT ON DOES NOT MEAN IT FITS.
Tim
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Dec 16 2010, 01:23 AM) *

How did we know it was WalNart...

I took "People of Walmart" as a strong hint.
MichiganCityDDS
QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 16 2010, 10:08 PM) *

I took "People of Walmart" as a strong hint.

THOUGHT it before READING it.
Tim
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Dec 17 2010, 12:19 AM) *

THOUGHT it before READING it.

Yep - they scream Walmart.

What's WalNart?

These pics, though extreme, remind me o what blows my mind about obesity in America. People being out this out of shape and overweight is bad enough - but when they dress like this it's like they're perfectly comfortable with it. From the time I get off the plane in LA I'm stunned. Walk into Memo's - see a woman, pretty and nicely dressed - but with an ass twice as wide as the chair she's sitting on working for or five plates of fattening crap... WTF??

I just don't get it.

<rant

MichiganCityDDS
QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 17 2010, 12:05 AM) *

Yep - they scream Walmart.

What's WalNart?

These pics, though extreme, remind me o what blows my mind about obesity in America. People being out this out of shape and overweight is bad enough - but when they dress like this it's like they're perfectly comfortable with it. From the time I get off the plane in LA I'm stunned. Walk into Memo's - see a woman, pretty and nicely dressed - but with an ass twice as wide as the chair she's sitting on working for or five plates of fattening crap... WTF??

I just don't get it.

<rant

Re WalNart, ask Ang.
The pics are not extreme, break the boycott and take a stroll in any big shopping locus, especially in summer. Refer above to The Brophy Law. Looking in a mirror, daily weighing, daily BG testing, desire to live a healthy life; these things help motivate me away from that big stack of assfat or gutfat on my plate.
Tim
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Dec 17 2010, 07:46 AM) *

Re WalNart, ask Ang.

I'm asking you.

Man up.
MichiganCityDDS
"Man up" ??
Is it manly to cave in because of an implied attack on one's manliness? I am certain you will agree it is not. Ang, of course, can explain it, as the Gentle Reader will note I mentioned before.
Ang
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Dec 17 2010, 06:46 AM) *

Re WalNart, ask Ang.

Here is your answer....

Super Wal-Nart opens...
Tim
QUOTE(MichiganCityDDS @ Dec 17 2010, 10:19 AM) *

"Man up" ??
Is it manly to cave in because of an implied attack on one's manliness? I am certain you will agree it is not. Ang, of course, can explain it, as the Gentle Reader will note I mentioned before.

What the Kris Kringle is your problem? I ask you a question, you say ask someone else?

Fine.
MichiganCityDDS
It was her story to tell, I did not want to be presumptuous. But the thread seems to be wandering off-track...
Michelle
Isn't this all kind of cruel? I mean, I would feel terrible if someone took a picture of me looking out of sorts and posted it online for strangers to ridicule.

/earnestness

Love "what the Kris Kringle," Tim. Do you mind if I borrow that?
Tim
QUOTE(Michelle @ Dec 19 2010, 09:21 PM) *

Isn't this all kind of cruel? I mean, I would feel terrible if someone took a picture of me looking out of sorts and posted it online for strangers to ridicule.

/earnestness

Love "what the Kris Kringle," Tim. Do you mind if I borrow that?

I think it would be cruel if we knew who these people are. I see them as unknown examples af a huge - pun intended - problem in America.

Yes - you may feel more than free to use my line.

Greetings from Seoul!
Ang
So, I was in Merrillville with the kids yesterday doing a little shopping. There was a woman in the mall who would make the folks from What Not To Wear go into cardiac arrest. For one, I have to agree with "just because you can get it on, does not mean it fits." This woman, who was about my size, looked like she was wearing children's clothing. She had on a very thin and small tank top that barely covered her whoo-hoo's (my son was embarassed when he saw that) that were in a bra obviously too small for her. Her pants looked painted on, and her belly was hanging over the waist band, while her skimpy little tank top was riding up over it, and her guady belly button piercing was showing.
But, if that wasn't enough, nothing she was wearing matched. It appeared as if the just grabbed clothing out of the bargain bin and put it on with no regard to size, color, or style.

I will admit, you can sometimes find me in Wal-Nart with my jammies on, and occasionally slippers too---depending on my Wal-Nart needs and the time of day--but you will NEVER find me shopping in the mall dressed the way this woman was dressed. I would die of embarassment!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.