Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ND wins 4 awards
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=35392.23

N-D Takes Four Awards at HSPA Contest

From Staff Reports

INDIANAPOLIS - The News-Dispatch took four awards Saturday during the annual Hoosier State Press Association contest.

Winners were announced during a luncheon in Indianapolis. The News-Dispatch competed against newspapers with similar circulations, specifically between 8,000 to 18,000.

In Best News Coverage with No Deadline Pressure (Individual), reporter Laurie Wink won for her series on tobacco use.

The judges wrote: "Thorough, insightful reporting about a very serious public-health issue for this county and region. The series was well-developed throughout and supported by solid sources and statistics."

City Editor Rick Richards took home two honors.

He won first place in Best In-Depth Feature or Feature Package for his work on Ed Bohle Jr., who had received an artificial leg.

The judges wrote: "Conversational storytelling kept the reader interested from beginning to end. Solid reporting mixed with colorful, rich details and quotes provide the perfect blend for a well-written feature. I feel like I know Ed Bohle Jr."

That piece also is a finalist for Story of the Year. The judges wrote: "I was impressed by the straightforward telling of this story. The emotional connection with the subject was heightened by the frank, matter-of-fact reporting. It pulled my heartstrings, but it was never sappy. The writer got out of the way and let the subject in detail achieve the desired impact. A great lesson on writing on a tough subject."

Richards took second place for Best General Columnist. The judges wrote: "Hard-hitting columns that clearly express how specific incidents have broader community impact; great job at holding public officials accountable."

Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse and former sports writers Jesse K. Cox and Peter Daining took third place for Best Sports Section.

The judges wrote: "Solid prep coverage, good writing of profiles, too. Layout is not the strongest aspect of this entry, but there appears to be a good effort to keep material organized."
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=51414.02

Parkhouse Doing A Great Job
I had the chance to see The News-Dispatch's sports section at the recent Hoosier State Press Association, and it's obvious that sports editor Adam Parkhouse is doing an excellent job. The section looked great, and it was packed with good local coverage. The Michigan City community is very lucky to have Adam as the News-Dispatch's sports editor.

Justin Breen

Chicago

Editor's note: Justin Breen, who was Adam Parkhouse's predecessor as sports editor at The News-Dispatch, is sports editor at The Times of Northwest Indiana.
Roger Kaputnik
Justin is correct!
Ang
Yes, he is and I for one, was glad to see Justin go. IMO he's petty and biased. If you upset him or don't cooperate with him, he'll slaughter you in the media. Adam is more conservative. If you don't cooperate with him, he merely states he got no cooperation. He doesn't use his position to make you look bad--like Justin did.
I rejoiced the day I found out Justin was leaving. And when Adam took over, things between the AD and ND went a lot smoother. At least during my tenure in the office. I don't know what it's like now, but I always enjoyed my relationship with Adam. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.
Roger Kaputnik
I don't think you should allow personal revelations into your posts, but maybe I am old-fashioned.

At any rate, the Times' sports have gotten praise from several people I know. I actually have never read that paper, so maybe I will try it.
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2007, 01:23 PM) *

I don't think you should allow personal revelations into your posts, but maybe I am old-fashioned.

Elaborate please. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that?
Roger Kaputnik
Justin seemed to be fair; maybe I am not aware of any problems his writing caused or revealed. It just seems that you have a personal nut against him.
Ang
Well, yeah actually I do. He wrote some pretty scathing editorials about the AD that were very biased and unfair. They were his personal opinion and had no basis or merit-other than his own feelings. He continued to write bad stories about MC for a short time after he left and went to the Times.
And if you think that is too personal for me to put in a post, well, then just add it to my list of pet-peeves: Reporters who use the media to entice the general public into feeling negative about a person they do not like simply because they do not like them.

By "AD" I mean the department as a whole, not just one individual-although he was really bent on Freitag--he slammed us all.
Roger Kaputnik
Well, I do not know about that stuff, but as a reader, I thought he did a good job of covering HS sports and treating it seriously.
Ang
You're right. In general he covers events very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.