Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harding's job safe likely until at least 2010
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
Southsider2k12
This is the worst possible thing for the MCAS. Take note of the 4 people who voted to extent him, and make sure to make your vote heard next time their seats come up for re-election.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=7303

Harding Keeps His Job, On A 4-3 Vote
Superintendent not notified of non-renewal, contract extended for year.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Last week, 98 percent of the teachers said they have no confidence in the Michigan City Area School superintendent.

On Tuesday, however, four school board members - in effect - voted to extend his contract to June of 2010.

According to Indiana law, if a superintendent is not notified of non-renewal by Dec. 31, his contract automatically extends for another year. Before Tuesday's vote, Harding's contract was set to expire on June 30, 2009.

On Tuesday, members Jim Kintzele, Beryle Burgwald and Clyde Zeek voted for non-renewal while Rick Carlson, Kathy Lee, Nathaniel Gipson and board president Jeff Jones voted against the motion for non-renewal made by Kintzele.

Essentially, they voted to renew the contract.

After the meeting, Harding said he was pleased.

"I do not want to be in the position of buying out a contract," Kintzele said, referring to what would happen should the board allow the contract to be renewed and later decide to fire a superintendent.

He said he remains disappointed at Harding's decision not to move to the community.

Zeek, who added a second to the motion, made no comments about Harding's performance.

"I gave my information during his evaluation," he said.

On Nov. 29, 98 percent of the 467 certified staff passed a vote of no confidence.

On that day, Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, said teachers are disappointed in what they see as Harding's lack of leadership, lack of communication and lack of support or caring for employees.

"We made our statement with the vote of no confidence," Stark said Tuesday.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dseder berg@thenewsdispatch.com.
Ang
I said basically the same thing in Soundoff.
Southsider2k12
The poll of the day at the ND asks if the MCAS school board made the right decesion regarding Hardings contract... It is 92% to 8% in favor of "no"
Roger Kaputnik
Too bad there is not a choice for

HELL NO!
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 5 2007, 02:26 PM) *

The poll of the day at the ND asks if the MCAS school board made the right decesion regarding Hardings contract... It is 92% to 8% in favor of "no"

But...was this the same thing as the mayoral primary polls, when people flooded them and altered the actual results?
Roger Kaputnik
Probably to some extent, JH, but it does show which way the motivated responders lean, which is how primaries work.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=43171.82

Harding's Contract
School Board Extends It Another Year

Editorial

It's too bad one more school board member didn't have the courage to do the right thing and vote to not renew Superintendent Michael Harding's contract.

It is becoming increasing clear that Harding's unwillingness to live in this school district, his aloof style and his perceived disdain for teachers is becoming an anchor holding back educational progress.

Harding isn't committed to Michigan City schools, either, judging by the fact that he has applied for jobs elsewhere.

On a 4-3 vote Tuesday night, the Michigan City Area Schools Board essentially voted to extend Harding's contract through June 30, 2010.

By state law, if a school superintendent isn't notified by Dec. 31 that his contract isn't being renewed, the renewal for an extra year becomes automatic. Board member James Kintzele made the motion to not renew Harding's contract, which was supported by Clyde Zeek and Beryle Burgwald. Voting in support of Harding were board President Jeff Jones, Rick Carlson, Kathy Lee and Nathaniel Gipson.

Kintzele said he made the motion so that if the board decides in the future to fire Harding, it won't be saddled with buying out an additional year of his contract. "I do not want to be in the position of buying out a contract," said Kintzele.

Tuesday's board decision flies in the face of a 98 percent no confidence vote in Harding's leadership that was taken by teachers. The vote, said Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, was based on what teachers see as Harding's lack of communication and lack of support for employees.

The growing animosity between teachers and the administration has manifested itself in bitter contract negotiations. Teachers have been working without a labor contract all year and thus far it appears that little, if any, progress is being made toward a new contract.

The Michigan City School Board had an opportunity Tuesday to send a strong message that they expected more from the administration. Instead, they decided that the status quo was good enough.

It's not.

Our Opinion
The Issue: The school board voted 4-3 to reject an attempt to not extend the superintendent's contract another year.

Our Opinion: By the narrowest margin, School Superintendent Michael Harding got a vote of confidence fromt the board. We don't think the status quo is good enough.
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47507.28

Expect More Poor Results With Harding
I just never seem to be amazed how politics works in Michigan City. There really is no common sense in La Porte County politics - none.

It wasn't too long ago that the school board was upset with [Superintendent Michael] Harding (again) and we give him an option for another year? If morale is low it's a good indication you will get subpar results. The people in charge can't make tough decisions. That is why this community will struggle with just small tasks. The tail doesn't wag the dog except in Michigan City, Indiana.

The school board members who voted for Harding need to resign. Give him his severance package and move him down the road. If the teachers don't respect their leader then the poor results will continue. It's just common sense, but there isn't too much of that in La Porte County, period.

Michigan City's educational system cannot afford three more years of the Harding controversy. Business looks at the schools, people, they really don't make their decisions based on your beaches.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City
Roger Kaputnik
^$^&$%^*&(*)(_)^$%$^*(, I agree.
adele115
Let's see -

-A vote of no confidence by 98% of faculty for failure to lead, communicate, and support
-No contract, yet, in December
-No real solutions to behavior problems except farming out to madison center for a few months then back in the system again
-numerus high school behavior and academic problems for all outside the honors class
-No school calendar till the last minute
-good teachers quit like band and military because of understaffing
-Applies for other jobs, doesn't live in town
-trips to china to "explore" chinese langauge class while most kids barely speak English properly, let alone add and subtract
-Funds more administrators and less classroom support

Hey, let's extend his contract!

Me smells corruption at the school board - let's check who is getting perks....
Southsider2k12
What an excellent summary of the current situation. Way to connect the dots! smile.gif
Marram
It is my impression that many people are afraid a change at the top will simply destabilize the situation. As if it isn’t already unstable. In my opinion, the Chamber of Commerce is an example of an organization taking that stance. They are so focused on the strategic plan that they would rather see Harding stay, even with his baggage, than bring in another Superintendent who might not be as committed to that plan. When the Chamber released their endorsements for School Board Candidates in '06, their stated emphasis was "1.) support for the Strategic Plan" and "2.) desire and ability to build a consensus to further the implementation of the Strategic Plan." Those were the first two out of the three criteria they listed.

Jeff Jones, the current School Board President, former Chamber Chairman, Chamber appointee to the MCEDC, and core team member (I think) of the MCAS Strategic Plan, is the personification of the Chamber on that Board. He was, by the way, the only one of the four candidates who the Chamber endorsed that won. Look at how he voted with regard to Harding's contract and the sway he has as president of the School Board.

Here is a good question: why did Kathy Lee, self-proclaimed "pro-teacher" Board Member, vote to keep Harding? There is your swing vote right there.

The crux of this issue is the plain and simple truth that any strategic plan is only as good as the leader behind it. And that leader has got to be a superintendent who is effective, energetic, charismatic, and dedicated. Our superintendent does not appear to be any of those things. The change is going to have to be made, and the sooner the better.
kharris
This seems to be just another example of status quo thinking in M.C. As my campaign for city council began last March with participation in the Chamber Forums, it was evident that a nice little coalition existed between the Chamber, City Hall and the Schools.

That is why we saw the "appointees" in Marc Espar, Tom Thomas and Bob McKee running to remove the apparent obstacles to the coalitions plans to focus onlyon those plans approved by the administration. Thank goodness we will still see opposition to counter this coalition in Angie and Phil Jankowski.

As far as the school situation goes, I have long advocated that the Superintendent should be hired from within the community. Not only do we have many who are qualified, we need someone who has a vested interest in the community and the school system. Unfortunately, state law prohibits residency as a requirement. But I do think we would fare much better with a local who cares about the community.
Southsider2k12
Nice post Mr Harris. I think the very first question we need to have asked is "Are you willing to work with the community, and how has your past history shown that?".

We need someone who can relate to the community, even if they aren't from here. Michael Harding has never shown any ability to even want to relate to Michigan City. Even a mediocre adminstrator could come in here and do a much better job if he was willing to try to step in and work with the people at large.

As for the Strategic Plan, I am still a big believer in it, as it came from the community at large. To me that is the most important feature of the plan. But to think that Harding is supporting that plan is a joke. To emphasize this point, I have one simple question... Does anyone feel that communications are any better over the last two plus years since the Strategic Plan was passed?
Roger Kaputnik
The main point I picked up on in the few prev posts is the discomfort of change, especially fear that the Strategic Plan will be dumped by a new superintendant. This is a case where the Chamber is retarding the development and growth of the City and area.

Why not make some kind of comittment to the SP part of the interview process? That should firm up some of the weak-kneed.
adele115
Unfortunately, the implementation of a "strategy" is only as good as the leadership. The current administration and some building administrators are more interested in making things look good and active (more meetings, memos, etc) than actually doing good things. The high school needs: study or or resource periods (teachers teach 6 periods a day, students have 7, no time for studying or getting help), an alternative school within or external to the school for those funkins who cannot cope with normal school, teacher supervisin and/or mentoring program (everyone's left on their own to sink or swim), additional staff to deal with all the needs of the community. Doing this doesn't require more meetings and lists - just do it.
JHeath
ohmy.gif You mean you want them to take action and DO something...not just a study?! (pls note the sarcasm)
Southsider2k12
Personally I think we need a study to decide if we need another study done.
MC Born & Raised
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 11 2007, 08:36 AM) *

Personally I think we need a study to decide if we need another study done.

Perhaps another administrator is also needed to make that decision. Got a spare $80,000 laying around?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Dec 11 2007, 09:46 AM) *

Perhaps another administrator is also needed to make that decision. Got a spare $80,000 laying around?

For $80,000 I think I have a resume laying around... ph34r.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Why don't we read the Str Pl and discuss it here? It can be a subforum with a thread for each element.
Ang
I was appointed to be on that committee. I respectfully declined and was told I had to choice. But, they soon changed their mind when I submitted my resignation.
adele115
I heard that a petetion is being circulated thru teachers to get community members signaturs to re-vote on Hardling at the next december bored meeting. Find a teacher and sign up!! Or else we'll be paying him off in 12 months
JHeath
QUOTE(adele115 @ Dec 13 2007, 12:06 PM) *

I heard that a petetion is being circulated thru teachers to get community members signaturs to re-vote on Hardling at the next december bored meeting. Find a teacher and sign up!! Or else we'll be paying him off in 12 months

I just heard the same thing. I'm signing a copy today. We need a central contact though, in case anyone else is interested...I'm not sure what the deadline is for the petition.
Southsider2k12
You heard correctly. If people want them, I have emails for most of the teachers union heads from my campaign. I can get ahold of petitions or direct you to people who do have them.
Southsider2k12
And for what its worth, they need to target Kathy Lee the hardest. She is the one who publically stood up as a "friend of the teachers" yet voted against what 98% of her "friends" felt should be the status of Hardings contract.
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 13 2007, 12:32 PM) *

And for what its worth, they need to target Kathy Lee the hardest. She is the one who publically stood up as a "friend of the teachers" yet voted against what 98% of her "friends" felt should be the status of Hardings contract.

Her sister teaches at Barker Middle School. I was surprised by that vote for that reason alone.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Dec 13 2007, 12:37 PM) *

Her sister teaches at Barker Middle School. I was surprised by that vote for that reason alone.

Yikes. Its almost like she is trying (very unsuccessfully I might add) trying to play both sides of the fence. The rest of the votes make sense with how people have talked in public, and how they have voted. Lee's vote flew right in the face of her public statements, and really bothered a LOT of teachers.
Roger Kaputnik
And get everyone you can to attend the meeting. Does the board have a phone number or web site?
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 13 2007, 12:01 PM) *

And get everyone you can to attend the meeting. Does the board have a phone number or web site?

I don't know if www.mcas.k12.in.us would link you to the school board or not, but you could check it out.
Southsider2k12
They don't publish their email addresses or phone numbers on the website. IIRC it wouldn't be too hard to figure out their email addresses from the formats of the other administrative email addresses listed on the site. Also IIRC all of the people who ran for school board in the last election had their phone numbers in the phone book.
adele115
Email addresses are first initial, last name, followed by @mcas.k12.in.us

Kathy Lee Gifford doesn't have one - loosuh
Roger Kaputnik
Is she Frank's ex?
Southsider2k12
I watched the school board meeting tonight live on Ch 97, and there was no re-vote. Kathy Lee did finally publically speak about her vote to renew Harding saying that some people privately thanked her for her vote, and that she did consider the 98% no confidence vote by the teachers when she voted. She also referred back to Michael Hardings review that the board conducted, and in all areas except communications she repeatedly emphasized his "satsifactory" preformance. It got me to thinking, why is is that four members of the board are happy with a "satisfactory" Superintendant, who has no interest in being here, while our teachers are excepted to be "highly qualified" by federal standards? Its pathetic, and disappointing that we have hitched our wagon to a second rate horse that is going to bolt the first chance that he gets, and our board has actively endorsed that. No wonder our education system is collapsing. We are crumbling from the top down, not from the bottom up.
Ang
The only thing that's kept it from falling entirely down is the stability at the bottom. But it's toppling and no matter how strong the bottom is, it WILL fall over eventually.
Roger Kaputnik
Mrs Lee's statement makes clear that
Harding is not the problem; the Board is the problem.
JHeath
That may be partially true, but he's still a part of it.
Southsider2k12
Harding is the problem, the lack of testicular fortitude by the school board is just a secondary problem. I literally think they are afraid of sitting in meetings with a guy that they tried to fire, if they didn't pass the resolution. Its a complete lack of guts to take a risk. They would rather settle for a bad known commodity, than an unknown.
Ang
I think the school board is mostly to blame, but not the current board. The board that hired Hardling in the first place. He had problems and a bad rap at New Prairie and South Bend. He should have NEVER been hired to begin with. But they drug their feet about getting a replacement for Linda Anast. They had plenty of time to properly search for a new Superintendent and they didn't. So, they just grabbed the first thing that came along. He applied to MC because he was on his way out at SB. Or maybe they had already given him the boot. I don't remember the exact details. Either way, HE SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN HIRED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

laugh.gif Testicular Fortitude laugh.gif That's a good one!
Roger Kaputnik
They have power over him, so they are the problem. A better board woulda canned him.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 19 2007, 02:16 PM) *

They have power over him, so they are the problem. A better board woulda canned him.

I won't argue with that. Like I said, take the names of the people who voted to keep him, and when they come up in the 2008 and 2010 elections vote accordingly. I know I will.
Marram
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 19 2007, 02:46 PM) *

I won't argue with that. Like I said, take the names of the people who voted to keep him, and when they come up in the 2008 and 2010 elections vote accordingly. I know I will.

Very timely thread. The election is only eleven months away. And a little inside info: the campaigning has already started.
Southsider2k12
Any early word on the people who are, or might, run?
Marram
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 19 2007, 05:56 PM) *

Just a teaser here. Maybe someone high up in the Democratic party. Also, maybe another candidate who's hoping third time is a charm. That's all I'll say.
Southsider2k12
Very interesting. I want to see strong candidates who aren't afraid to take a contra-position. I think we did OK last election. Beryle Bergewald ended up being the best candidate we elected, as he has a history of not being afraid of standing up to the establishment, and working in a minority party setting. It has served him well on this school board. Jim Kintzele was also a solid re-election, but we also knew his history going into this. Jeff Jones has been probably the worst selection, as not only did he add a "no" vote, but as President of the Board, he has actively protected Harding in school board meetings from what I have seen. All we need to do is replace one single "no" vote in the next election, and we have both Rick Carlson and Nate Gipson running.
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 19 2007, 04:56 PM) *

I'll bet someone from the Gonzales family. ohmy.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 20 2007, 10:56 AM) *

I'll bet someone from the Gonzales family. ohmy.gif

Its like Pinky and the Brain...

"What do you want to do tonight Brain?"

"The samething we do every night Pinky, try to take over Michigan City!"

laugh.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Carlson has gotta go. What is his constituency? Yes, I know there are not supposed be such things on the Board but we know it is the case.

What do I have to do to run? Could I run as an Independent, not as a member of a party?
Southsider2k12
There is no declared affiliation with school board races.

Rick is actually a really likable guy, probably the most personable one on the board. He is also really committed to the kids, and specifically the band and music departments. I could see why people in those areas would really like the guy. I really disagree with his positions on the big picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.