Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter 2007-2008
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
JHeath
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48075.66

Snow Falls Again
About five inches of snow hit region in about 11 hours.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Ja'Varrie Oliver and his brothers Amere and Oscar Potts, spent their two-hour school delay shoveling out the more than three inches of snow in their Carroll Avenue driveway Wednesday.

But their brief reprieve from school wasn't spent solely on work.

Every few minutes, 7-year-old Oscar would roll up a solid ball of snow and throw it at one of his brothers, leading to a brief, but all-out, snowball fight.

"I love making snow angels and jumping around in it," said 11-year-old Ja'Varrie, as the three took a break from shoveling. "The snow is great. It's a little cold, though."

La Porte County and much of Northwest Indiana was blanketed with up to five inches of snow from a storm that passed through the region beginning around 6 p.m. Tuesday and ending around 5 a.m. Wednesday.

The storm brought nearly five inches to places like Furnessville, in Porter County, and made roads and streets throughout the area dangerous at times.

The first real snow of the year, though, could have been worse on drivers if not for two key factors.

"There really wasn't any wind so the snow didn't drift, which is usually the big problem," La Porte County Highway Superintendent Bob Young said Wednesday. "So that was a big break. And I think the ice storm we had Saturday kind of got people prepared for winter again."

Young said county snowplows began working at 7 p.m. Tuesday and stopped around midnight, before hitting the roads again around 4 a.m. Wednesday.

According to the National Weather Service office in Syracuse, Ind., Tuesday's storm was the product of a highly potent "clipper" system.

Meteorologist Benjamin Schott said clippers usually bring only a few inches of snow, but Tuesday's system brought between three and seven inches to areas in a line that stretched from Michigan City to Warsaw, Ind.

Fish Lake and Rolling Prairie reported seven inches of snow, Schott said.

"Typically these systems bring much lighter amounts, but this one had quite a bit more potency," Schott said.

Schott said the area can expect another system Thursday night that should bring between two and three inches of snow. Another possible storm is brewing in the Southwest, he said, but meteorologists are yet uncertain as to how that system will effect the area.

At least five vehicles slid off snow-covered roads during the storm, including a car driven by a young woman who apparently slid off a snowy County Road 600 East and rolled into a cornfield.

According to the La Porte County Sheriff's Department, there were "several incidents" reported throughout the night and into early Wednesday. Most were property damage accidents, including two in which cars became entangled in downed power lines from fall utility poles.

Roger Kaputnik
SLOW DOWN!
Southsider2k12
I had to laugh at the Chicago news station I saw (I can't remember which one it was even) refering to our 4 or 5 inches of snow as a "Winter Storm". Oh please.
JHeath
Seriously. This is nothing compared to what we might get in January or early February.
What are they thinking?
Southsider2k12
RATINGS
Ang
I went out this moring to warm up my car and it had just started snowing. 15 minutes later when I left, there was already half an inch on the ground. Visibility is about two blocks. We're expected to get 9-12 inches by midnight. Now THAT's a winter storm.
Roger Kaputnik
How has the hunting been?
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 7 2007, 12:03 PM) *

How has the hunting been?

You should come out here and find out. We insure a few outfitters I could hook you up with. Or you could wing it and my bro-in-law will take you out with him.
Southsider2k12
Or you could always call Dick Cheney... He goes through hunting partners pretty quickly from what I understand!
Roger Kaputnik
I think he is WAY too willing to accept collateral damage!
Ang
They had a roadside stand outside of Jackson Hole. The stand was selling those bright orange vests and their sales pitch was, "Hurry-Get one quick! Mr. Cheney is in town!"
Southsider2k12
I know it is only Dec 11th, but the amount of ice has just been ridiculous this year! I can't ever remember having this many icy days in a winter. Usually it is either snow or rain, not ice.
Roger Kaputnik
The Ohio Valley gets lots of ice storms because it is usually on the edge of winter storms. It is just that we have been getting their kind of weather. Makes it tougher to kill a deer, though.
Ang
Your bad weather made our news this morning. They showed clips of I-94 going into Chicago. I got homesick--if you can believe that. We didn't get the predicted 9-12 inches over the weekend. Instead we only got about 6-7 inches. Trouble is, it's so windy here that all that snow blows around and drifts all over the place so when the storm is over, the snow is still blowing around. I've got some pics I'll post as soon as I get them uploaded to the puter.
Roger Kaputnik
If I could ever get it to work, I have some good ones from around here that you might like.
Southsider2k12
I just want to know how you would upload the polaroids? laugh.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Hyuk, hyuk.

Well, I could scan the photos and somehow get the image to this site.
ChickenCityRoller
If you have a pretty good camera, you can always take a picture of the picture! smile.gif
ChickenCityRoller
BTW, it looks like we must have dodged a bullet last night. Strange weather.
Ang
You know what they say, "If you don't like the weather in Northwest Indiana, wait an hour--it will change"
Southsider2k12
Now this is a winter storm.
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 16 2007, 09:22 AM) *

Now this is a winter storm.

No kidding! So far, we've had Sunday School and MC Park & Rec basketball cancelled...anyone else smell another 2 hour delay coming in the morning? laugh.gif
Dave
Every once in a while I look at the weather radar and see what I call "the finger of God." When conditions are just right (wrong?), there is a line heading down the length of Lake Michigan pointed right at my durn house. I saw that last night.

A couple of years ago I broke down and spent about a weeks pay on a good snowblower. It has electric start, which I simply can not praise too much. No more pulling a cord for me, thankyouverymuch! I durn near stroked myself out on the last pullcord snowblower I had.

I spent about two hours this afternoon blowing out the driveway and the sidewalk around the house. Then I went around the block, and blew out the alley, even though I don't use the alley, for the neighbors. I loves my snowblower! I figure I might as well use it as much as possible when I can, and now I can walk the dog around the block without having to put on my durn boots.
Southsider2k12
"the finger of God."

You must be refering to the "vengeful" God smile.gif
Ang
When we get heavy snow here, this is the plowing procedure:

All major streets, the snow is plowed to the center of the road. When the plowing is done, they go along with a front end loader and pick up the snow then put it in a dump truck to be hauled to various parking lots and empty fields. It's kinda nice cause there are no huge piles of snow along the sides of the roads.

Side streets never get plowed. And that's a real pisser, too let me tell ya! And just to pour salt in the wound, private citizens are not allowed to plow their own road because it's city property. If they're caught plowing they get something like a $5000 fine (or so I've been told)
Roger Kaputnik
They do that on Franklin Street, and this morning Dennis Metheney was on WIMS kvetching about it. Now I don't want him choking me, but that is the best way to get rid of the snow, instead of leaving solid ice chunks in the parking spaces for weeks after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.