Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBTL: Catch-all Anything thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
JHeath
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news7.txt

Fulton Street closed

Fulton Street will be closed to traffic from Washington Street to Wabash Street effective today for sewer construction. The closing is expected to last approximately two weeks, HRP Construction announced.
Max Main
I think we should make this the longest thread!

Just post anything here
Ang
QUOTE(Max Main @ May 14 2007, 09:26 AM) *

I think we should make this the longest thread!

Just post anything here

The weather in Wyoming was beautiful this past weekend. My mother's day was great. I hope all the other mother's here had a wonderful day with their children and I hope everyone was able to let their mother's know how much they are loved and appreciated.
JHeath
Seriously?
Roger Kaputnik
Mais oui!
Ang
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. Mine here wasn't too bad. Casper does this "oldies" thing for Memorial Day weekend. The whole weekend is centered around a classic car exhibit on Sunday at Fort Caspar (the original settlement in Casper). Friday there is sign-ups for the show and all the cars are on display. Then Saturday is a classic car parade with a Sock Hop Saturday night with the car show on Sunday. The Sock Hop raises money for the Humane Society and my boss is the president of the Humane Society so I was pretty involved with the weekends festivities. The Drifters played at the sock hop and I made my daughter this really cool poodle skirt. She was totally into it and it was a lot of fun. But what was so very disappointing is that the Drifters were not giving out free autographs. You had to buy their stuff to get their autograph. They were charging $20.00 for cd's (with only ten songs on it) and $7 for a poster (11X17). Absolutely rediculous in my opinion. Needless to say, we didn't get any autographs. I suppose I wouldn't have minded too much if a goodly portion of the gross were going to the Humane Society, but the Drifters were only giving 6%. Then they wanted Humane Society volunteers to sell their stuff for them!
Ang
Has anyone looked at the online News Dispatch today? They changed the format. I really like it. It will take a little to get used to navigating the new site, but the changes are pretty cool. The best thing they did was eliminate "Feedback" and replace it with the Anvil Chorus. Yeah!!! Now I can finally start reading all those letters you guys talk about! too bad they didn't do that before the elections so I could read what people had to say about that.
Oh well. It's done now and I, for one, am happy with the changes.
JHeath
Ang,
I just looked at the site--you're right, it's pretty nice. Similar to the old one in some ways, but definitely better.

Also, there's still a feedback area, only now it's called "Soundoff": http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=84626.77

You can have your anvil chorus, and leave your feedback, too. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
I went ahead and changed the title of this thread... This is now the place for whatever you want to talk about, whether it is relevant or just what you had for lunch today. Enjoy!
Ang
I didn't realize what that was. I never clicked that link yesterday. I checked it out today and they have a webmaster review all postings before they are posted. Excellent idea. They should have done that a long time ago. Hopefully this new format will work for them. I'm just tickled that I can now read the Anvil Chorus.
Ang
I changed my avatar again. I decided with spring coming on, that winter scene was a little too bleak. This picture was taken on Casper Mountain looking out over the City of Casper. I did not point toward the downtown area, not that you could tell anyway, but it's a beautiful view. If anyone is interested, I have a lot of pics posted on my facebook account. Send me a PM and I'll send you the link....
Roger Kaputnik
What beautiful country.
Ang
Thanks. The countryside and the lack of humidity are really the only things keeping me here right now. I really miss the beach. sad.gif
Southsider2k12
I can tell you that the beach was really nice this weekend smile.gif The baby had a great time playing in the sand.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ May 30 2007, 10:36 PM) *

Ang,
I just looked at the site--you're right, it's pretty nice. Similar to the old one in some ways, but definitely better.

Also, there's still a feedback area, only now it's called "Soundoff": http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=84626.77

You can have your anvil chorus, and leave your feedback, too. biggrin.gif

They did change their feed now. The old news listings won't pull up on google news anymore mad.gif
Southsider2k12
Has anyone driven 11st Street between Franklin and Michigan Blvd lately? WOW, its like a tank went through there. That road is god-awful right now. Anyone know if there are plans for a repave?
Roger Kaputnik
That is the worst street I have been on in MC--and I am including Washington Street under construction!
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 5 2007, 07:45 AM) *

Has anyone driven 11st Street between Franklin and Michigan Blvd lately? WOW, its like a tank went through there. That road is god-awful right now. Anyone know if there are plans for a repave?

Here's your answer:

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46554.79

Major Work Planned On City's East Side

Rick A. Richards

Motorists on Michigan City's East Side will find the going difficult later this summer as major work is planned by both the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District and the city.

NICTD, which operates the South Shore Railroad, told the Board of Works and Public Safety on Monday morning it will replace the rails on its commuter line between York and Spring streets.

South Shore officials have told the city the work will be done from June 11 to 22, and that several intersections in the area, including Lafayette and Cedar streets, will be closed.

At the same time, city officials said 11th Street between Franklin Street and Michigan Boulevard will be rebuilt, starting after the Summer Festival Parade, which is July 7. Once work starts (tentatively scheduled for July 9), it will take seven to 10 days to complete.
Southsider2k12
Ah, I just posted this on the other area... Its like they were reading my mind :0)
Roger Kaputnik
Cubs are winning in Milwaukee, 5 zip.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 6 2007, 02:21 PM) *

Cubs are winning in Milwaukee, 5 zip.

Lou Pinella is the problem there, not Zambrano or Barrett. After years of having it easy under Dusty Baker, that clubhouse is in full rebellion against a guy who not only doesn't make it easy and protect the players, but he calls out the players on their lack of basic baseball skills. If Lou stays, he will need a whole new roster of players to win anything there.
Ang
yesterday I wore a skirt, tank top and sandles. Today i am wearing pants, a sweater, socks and shoes. It's snowing in the western part of the state and in Jackson Hole it's only 36 degrees right now. Casper is at about 45 degrees and raining. They say we could get snow also. BUT, tomorrow it's supposed to be in the upper 70's. Go figure.

Aaaahhhhh, I love the mountains!!
Southsider2k12
It is supposed to be 92 here today with 40 mile per hour winds and gusty thunderstorms... this could be an interesting day.
Ang
40 mph sustained wind is typical for this area. We get that almost daily, and add 60-70 mph gusts. When you guys had that storm last August, I remember thinking, "That's nothing!! We get that almost every day in the winter."

On an average day in the summer, we have about 10-15 mph wind and the winter a typical day is 30-40 mph with 50-70 mph gusts. When it comes to windy cities, Chicago can't even compare to Casper.
Ang
HEY!!! Where is everybody?

I'm coming home for vacation. I'll be there for the 4th and stay long enough to go to the parade. Does anyone know whent the fireworks are? Hopefully the 8th? Fireworks here are lame, lame, lame. Like watching the neighbors' in my back yard. Last year I was so utterly disappointed. I'm a fireworks fanatic. I love them like a child.
Southsider2k12
Sorry Ang, fireworks are July 15th. They never schedule them around the 4th, they always shoot for a nuetral weekend to draw in the touristas.
Ang
I know, but the summer I left they did them the day after the parade. What a rip.
Southsider2k12
one big problem with the new and improved site is the pop ups are god awful, even with a blocker.
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 13 2007, 08:03 AM) *

one big problem with the new and improved site is the pop ups are god awful, even with a blocker.

If you're talking about the ND site, I totally agree. It seems like everytime you click a link you get a pop up. Snopes is like that, too. Only evertime you click a link you get TWO pop-ups. Annoying as hell!!!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 13 2007, 11:05 AM) *

If you're talking about the ND site, I totally agree. It seems like everytime you click a link you get a pop up. Snopes is like that, too. Only evertime you click a link you get TWO pop-ups. Annoying as hell!!!

Yeah, I guess I missed that part... All of the pop ups really make the site run slowly as well. I do like the layout and the information better, they just need to get more space on the server for users if they are going to add pop-ups.
Roger Kaputnik
I use Firefox so my pop ups are blocked.
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 14 2007, 09:52 AM) *

I use Firefox so my pop ups are blocked.

Did you ever get a new computer? Or are you still using the 1914 DOS-o-saurus Wrecks?
RexKickass
QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 12 2007, 11:30 AM) *

HEY!!! Where is everybody?

I'm coming home for vacation. I'll be there for the 4th and stay long enough to go to the parade. Does anyone know whent the fireworks are? Hopefully the 8th? Fireworks here are lame, lame, lame. Like watching the neighbors' in my back yard. Last year I was so utterly disappointed. I'm a fireworks fanatic. I love them like a child.

Long Beach usually has their fireworks on the 4th. Get a boat and watch em from the lake.
Ang
QUOTE(RexKickass @ Jun 17 2007, 12:51 PM) *

Long Beach usually has their fireworks on the 4th. Get a boat and watch em from the lake.

That would be fun if I knew anyone with a boat. ohmy.gif
JHeath
Or you could go to the LBCC golf course like everyone else. smile.gif
Southsider2k12
Actually going out on the pier on the 3rd/4th is a great place to watch fireworks from. You can literally see firework shows from Chicago to Michigan.
Ang
I know. it's just not the same as when they're right over your head. Since I made that last post, I learned my cousin in MI, who is a pyrotechnician, will be doing a show in Buchanan. So, I think I will go there. I can ride with him and they will be literally, right over my head.
JHeath
I'm not sure if anyone here has been to the LB fireworks. When you sit on the golf couse (behind the community center/old Long Beach school), they ARE right over your head. If you know someone who lives on the golf course, even better!

Either way, we'll all be here to welcome you home, Ang!
Roger Kaputnik
Do not forget the 5k that morning at the old LB school.
Ang
Our weather today is a high of 96 with 10% humidity.
Roger Kaputnik
Summer started yesterday, UTC 1806, CDT 1:06 pm.

Today in history: 1941, German invasion of the Soviet Union, 0345 local time.
Ang
The weather in Casper WY today is 95 degrees with 5% humidity.

Michigan City is 85 degrees with 55% humidity.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to breath when I get there next week. I might have to bring an oxygen tank or something. Between the thicker air of lower elevation and the humidity, I'll be struggling for sure. Good thing I quit smoking!
Roger Kaputnik
Ang: I got a compaq presariio c500 with vista op sys from the stre formerly known as pc depot. It works great and was inexpensive. However, I do like how win98se looked and worked better than vista. It does the same stuff as far as I can tell but more user-friendly-ly (take that, grammar freaks!)

Bring some oxygen because it is not yet 9 cdt and pushing 80, with enough humidity that the next sneeze will start a thunderstorm.
Ang
I have a Dell at home and I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. I've had it for 6 years and it's running pretty slow. Then, my kid installed the Sims and now it's REALLY slow. I really need to upgrade!
Ang
I'm getting my car serviced tomorrow for the trip. Oh, the departure day is getting so close and I've got ants in my pants with anticipation. Beeeaaaacccchhhhh. All I can think about it the beach.

so, if you guys see a light brown Chevy Malibu with Wyoming plates driving down Franklin St (or any other street) Honk--cause that's me. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
Have a safe trip!
Roger Kaputnik
Do you take 80 all the way?
Ang
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 27 2007, 08:59 AM) *

Do you take 80 all the way?

Yeah. I take 25 to Cheyenne then 80 all the way to the toll road. Coming back though I'm considering taking 90 and stopping at Mt. Rushmore. The kids have never been there and my daughter is just fascinated with the place. We have lots of tourist ads here in t.v. for South Dakota and she gets excited every time she sees one so I'm thinking of surprising her with a visit. Personally, I'd like to go to Deadwood.

Hey Southsider!! Welcome Back. How was your vacation? Did you make it to Gettysburg?
Ang
I made it to town. WOW!! so many changes. I'll talk about it later. Anyway, I'm here so if any of you see my light brown Malibu with WYO plates, remember to honk cause that's meeeee...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.