> 2011-2012 Official Wolves football thread
taxthedeer
post Sep 9 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #61

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Sep 9 2011, 04:01 PM) *

I assumed that, but what was the diatribe leading up to it?
I'm just merely sharing my life experiences in order to help our young people cope with an improbable defeat. My advice to coach Karpinski, since he seems unfamiliar with life in the Duneland conference, would be for him to instruct the team to remove their cleats before stepping out into the parking lot after it's all over.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fancy Nancy
post Sep 9 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 1,120

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 9 2011, 02:27 PM) *

Nice to hear the underclassmen are doing well.

Valpo has got to be the wost place for the team to take a loss, take it from me, I've had to witness that gut wrenching heartbreak just way too many times throughout my lifetime. The most painful part is after the team heads off the field and walks together through the stadium gate and into the parking lot and their cleats make this sound on the asphalt, it's like the team is a heard of cattle being lead to slaughter, it goes:

CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK,
CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK, CLICKITY CLACK....

Then after taking the march of death the team hops aboard that yellow submarine and has to take another long sad bus ride all the way back home to Michigan City.

Thank goodness that unless the Wolves draw Valpo again in the sectional this will be the last time Michigan City will have to face Mark Hoffman as the Vikings head football coach because that's exactly what type of anguish that man will put you through.

This has been another motivational and inspirational pep talk from taxthedeer.

+Quote Post
Fancy Nancy
post Sep 9 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #63

WOW!
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Sep 9 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 954

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 9 2011, 04:52 PM) *

I'm just merely sharing my life experiences in order to help our young people cope with an improbable defeat. My advice to coach Karpinski, since he seems unfamiliar with life in the Duneland conference, would be for him to instruct the team to remove their cleats before stepping out into the parking lot after it's all over.

"in order to help our young people cope with an improbable defeat."

eh?

C'mon man!

In regards to sharing your life experiences in order to help our young people, please stop. There are times when silence is the best form of support...

May the Wolves win this evening, just as they did during their most recent trip to Valparaiso High School... Yes, victory isn't likely, but don't bestow defeat upon the kids before opening kickoff...
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 9 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #65

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Sep 9 2011, 05:49 PM) *

"in order to help our young people cope with an improbable defeat."

eh?

C'mon man!

In regards to sharing your life experiences in order to help our young people, please stop. There are times when silence is the best form of support...

May the Wolves win this evening, just as they did during their most recent trip to Valparaiso High School... Yes, victory isn't likely, but don't bestow defeat upon the kids before opening kickoff...
I'm sorry you don't appreciate my insight and perspective.

For what it's worth, It should be a great homecoming game with Merrillville next week.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Sep 9 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 1,114

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 9 2011, 10:28 PM) *

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my insight and perspective.

For what it's worth, It should be a great homecoming game with Merrillville bext week.

Don't feel bad, I too had my doubts, I know how difficult it is to beat them at home. It is rediculous how they are made to walk all that distance to the school before, during, and after the game. The last three minutes of the second quarter were amazing. Wish we could have got that fire going in the first quarter. I'm not sure what happened but they looked like a whole different team out there. Then the rain came down in buckets--or worse. We hung tough and they only scored one more time on us for the rest of the game. The Wolves just couldn't make the connection on the pass. My personal observation has been that everyone else in the DAC has been quicker off the line. When the runners are wide open there isn't anyone who can catch them but it's that half a second at the line that is making all the difference in the world. Interested in seeing the outcome of tomorrows JV game at home. GO WOLVES !!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 10 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #67

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

You hate a lose a game like this, but the team is making progress. Staying in a game that was a blowout early, and making a real effort to win it late is a step forward. This team outside of the Washington game hasn't had a good first half. They will have to learn to step that intensity up out of the gate.

This week is homecoming, spread the word!
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Sep 10 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #68

Well the JV football team had another exciting win today. They beat Valpo 22-21 with a last "second" field goal--literally!!! WOW it was a nail biter. They are now 4-0. Great job guys !!! GO WOLVES !!!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 10 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #69

Really Comfortable

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...4710b82a95.html

Injury-depleted Vikings hold off Wolves on first night with new Jumbotron

By Paul Jankowski Times Correspondent | Posted: Friday, September 9, 2011 10:30 pm | 1 Comment

Valpo QB Paul Andrie threw for 251 yards and two TDs

VALPARAISO | Valparaiso's early first-half performance against Michigan City was so good Friday night, Viking fans didn't mind watching twice.
They got that chance on the new Jumbotron scoreboard, which has replay capability on the large video screen.
The Times No. 7 Vikings debuted the board with a 38-21 Duneland Athletic Conference victory.
The win came at a cost for the Vikings (2-2, 2-0 DAC). Senior running back Bryon Duncan injured his right leg on his third carry of the game. He remained on the sidelines for the rest of the first quarter, but was taken away and coach Mark Hoffman did not know the severity of the injury.
Offensive lineman Paul Runyan also was injured early on, as was linebacker Jake Grossnickle.
"Struggle? I'd say it was," Hoffman said. "When you lose three of your good players in the first quarter, I'd say it was."
Valpo was already playing without junior running back Andrew Kittridge, who injured his ribs last week against LaPorte.
That opened the door for Stephen Simms to shine.
The speedy junior carried 26 times for 193 yards with two touchdowns.
Senior quarterback Paul Andrie had one of the best games of his career, completing 16 of 19 passes for 251 yards and two touchdowns. He threw a 12-yard TD pass to Markee Allen, and later a 10-yard TD to Marcus Allen.
Senior Ryan Nix made six catches for 136 yards including a gain of 62 yards early in the second half.
"Simms played really well, and our quarterbak and receivers played really well," Hoffman said.
Michigan City (1-3, 0-2) put a scare into the Vikes with a 21-point second quarter.
Rashem Bell scored on a 73-yard run on a fake punt. The Wolves then put together their only offensive scoring drive, culminating in a 24-yard TD pass from Joel Hirsch to Donovan Wilson.
On the next kickoff, Simms fumbled and it was picked up by City's Anthony Catchings and returned 38 yards for a touchdown.
But during a downpour through much of the second half, Valpo's defense dominated.
"We let them back in the ballgame, but offensively we did about all we needed to do and didn't make too many mistakes," Hoffman said.

Game Stats

MC VA
Score 21 38
1st Downs 12 18
Passing 1st downs 2 11
Rushing 1st downs 8 7
1st downs from Penalties 2 0
3rd down efficiency (Made/Att)
4th down efficiency (Made/Att)
Total Plays 54 50
Total Yards 205 466
Passing Yards 86 251
Passing efficiency (Comp/Att) 6/19 15/19
Rushing Yards 119 215
Rushing Attempts 35 31
Red Zone efficiency (Made/Att)
Penalties (Made/Yards) 2/25 4/45
Turnovers 0 2
# of Fumbles 3 1
Fumbles lost 0 1
Interceptions thrown 0 1
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 2 0
Time of possession
No. 7 Valparaiso 38, Michigan City 21

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 10 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #70

Really Comfortable

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/756737...valparaiso.html

Simms steps into spotlight for Valparaiso
By Tom Wyatt Post-Tribune correspondent September 10, 2011 12:08AM

Updated: September 10, 2011 2:03AM

VALPARAISO — Stephen Simms was not supposed to be the premier running back this season. But on Friday night, Valparaiso had no choice but to put the junior in that role.

With junior running back Andrew Kittridge already out with an injury coming into the game, senior Bryon Duncan, the Vikings’ leading rusher, went down on the sixth play from scrimmage and had to be helped off the field. He was taken away with an undisclosed injury to his right leg.

That left Simms — all 5 feet, 6 inches and 145 pounds of him.

And he was clutch.

Simms carried 27 times for 193 yards and two touchdowns to help lead Valparaiso to a 38-21 Duneland Conference victory over Michigan City, on a night when the Vikings unveiled their new video scoreboard.

“Really, I was a little scared,” Simms said. “But the coaches pumped me up and my teammates pumped me up. I just did the best I could do.”

Simms’ 10-yard dash into the end zone with 7:27 to play in the second quarter gave the Vikings (2-2, 2-0 DAC) a 28-0 lead. It seemed the rout was on, because at that point, Valparaiso was running its offense nearly as efficiently as possible.

Quarterback Paul Andrie, who finished the night with 243 yards passing, completed his first 11 passes, and the Vikings had positive yardage on their first 30 plays. They were cruising.

“Offensively, we did about all we could,” Valparaiso coach Mark Hoffman said.

But then the Wolves woke up. Rashem Bell took the direct snap on a fake punt and sprinted 73 yards for a touchdown to pull Michigan City to within 28-7. After a Valparaiso field goal, the Wolves (1-3, 0-2 DAC) went 88 yards on seven plays, with Joel Hirsch hitting Donovan Wilson for a 24-yard touchdown with 1:22 left in the first half.

That made it 31-14, but then Michigan City’s Anthony Catchings recovered a Simms fumble on the ensuing kickoff and returned it 38 yards for a score. All of a sudden it was 31-21 with 1:07 left in the second quarter.

“We gave up two easy scores and let them back in the ballgame,” Hoffman said.

Michigan City, however, managed just 48 yards of offense in the second half, and the Vikings added an Andrie 1-yard sneak late in the third quarter to stave off any possible Wolves rally.

In addition to Duncan, Valparaiso lost offensive lineman Paul Runyan to injury and linebacker Jake Grossnickle.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #71

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...d1858429202.txt

FURIOUS RALLY FALLS SHORT

City scores 21 points in five-minute stretch, but can’t get over the hump
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:42 PM CDT
VALPARAISO, Ind. — With less than six minutes left in the second quarter, things couldn’t be going any worse for Michigan City’s football team.

Less than five minutes later, things couldn’t be going much better.

After a wild flourish in the second quarter, City gave Valparaiso a battle in a game that looked like a certain rout, but the Vikings hung on for a 38-21 win over the Wolves.

“It’s a confidence thing,” City coach Michael Karpinski said. “We’ve gotta find a way to come out and play hard in the first quarter.”

Click here to find out more!
The first quarter-and-a-half was a nightmare for the Wolves (1-3, 0-2 Duneland) as the Vikings (2-2, 2-0 DAC) did whatever they wanted offensively. After one quarter, Valpo had 168 yards from scrimmage and City had just 12 as the Vikings led 14-0.

In the second quarter, the Vikings tacked on two more touchdowns, quarterback Paul Andrie’s second touchdown pass of the game and backup running back Stephen Simms’ second touchdown run. It was 28-0 and the rout was on.

Less than two minutes after Valpo’s fourth touchdown, City lined up to punt from its own 27-yard line on fourth-and-3. But the Wolves ran a fake, with punter Dan Lemon selling it beautifully by acting as though the snap went over his head. As the Valpo players reacted to Lemon, Rashem Bell streaked downfield for a 73-yard touchdown, making it 28-7.

“We knew we had to do something with the fake punt,” Karpinski said, adding that he hoped that play would light a spark in his team. It did just that.

The Wolves’ offense got the ball back after a Valpo field goal and senior quarterback Joel Hirsch marched the team straight downfield after nearly a full half of struggling to move the ball. That drive was capped off when Hirsch found sophomore receiver Donovan Wilson for a 24-yard touchdown strike to make it 31-14.

On the ensuing kickoff, City’s Giorgio Karallas and James Washington converged on Simms during the return, causing him to fumble. Anthony Catchings picked the ball up at the 38-yard line and rumbled to the house. Suddenly, the score was 31-21.

The Wolves weren’t done yet. On the last play of the half, Andrie threw a lame duck up in the middle of the field and City’s Anthony Lemon stepped in front of it. Lemon weaved his way through traffic and appeared to be on his way to a touchdown but he was finally tackled 14 yards shy of the end zone.

During the half, rain came and stayed through most of the second half, making offense difficult.

The only score of the second half came in the final minute of the third quarter on Andrie’s sneak from 1-yard line.

The Wolves largely struggled to move the ball the rest of the way and took the 17-point defeat.

In the loss, Karpinski did continue to be impressed with the play of Karallas, who has developed into a legitimate force on defense.

“He is really becoming the heart and sould of our defense,” Karpinski said. “He’s putting himself in the right spots.”

With next week’s homecoming game with Merrillville marking the halfway point of the season, where do the Wolves stand?

“I’ll tell you next week,” Karpinski said, smiling. “I hate to keep saying it, but we have to play four quarters. We just don’t and I’m not sure what it is.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.

VALPARAISO 38, MICHIGAN CITY 21

Michigan City 0 21 0 0 — 21

Valparaiso 14 17 7 0 — 38

First Quarter

V — Simms 3 run (Nix kick), 9:25

V — MarcAllen 12 pass from Andrie (Nix kick), 4:30

Second Quarter

V — MarcAllen 10 pass from Andrie (Nix kick), 11:54

V — Simms 10 run (Nix kick), 7:27

MC — Bell 73 run (Stevenson kick), 5:25

V — Nix 26 field goal, 2:34

MC — Wilson 24 pass from Hirsch (Stevenson kick), 1:22

MC — Catchings 38 fumble return (Stevenson kick), 1:07

Third Quarter

V — Andrie 1 run (Nix kick), :35.4

MC V

First Downs 10 19

Total Yards 218 465

Rushes-Yards 33-132 32-212

Passing Yards 86 253

Comp-Att-Int 6-19-0 16-20-1

Fumbles-Lost 3-0 0-0

Punts-Ave 7-39.0 1-35

Penalties-Yards 1-10 4-45

RUSHING — Michigan City (Bell 13-107, Hirsch 9-10, Karallas 2-8, Taylor 5-7, Washington 1-6, Kaletha 1-2, Martin 2-(minus 8)). Valparaiso (Simms 27-190, Andrie 2-14, Duncan 3-8).

PASSING — Michigan City (Hirsch 6-19-86). Valparaiso (Andrie 16-20-253).

RECEIVING — Michigan City (Wilson 3-58, Kaletha 1-17, Gondeck 1-9, Yarbrough 1-2). Valparaiso (Nix 6-136, MarcAllen 4-73, Simms 3-23, MarkAllen 1-12, Brown 2-9).
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #72

Don't forget, this week is homecoming week!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #73

Also a new facebook fan page for Wolves football. Join. Invite your friends.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-Mich...229044970478139
+Quote Post
Fancy Nancy
post Sep 13 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #74

Just wanted to say what an exciting game it was on Saturday, when the JV won against Valpo 22 to 21! 4 seconds left on the clock and Mr. Stevenson kicks a field goal to secure a Wolves win. They are 4 and 0, they kept on fighting til the end, way to go boys. The varsity did good to at half time we were only down by 10, considering it was 21 to 0 at one point. Keep on fighting boysand we will get there. Just a reminder it is homecoming this friday the 16th, come out and have some chili and pizza and support the wolves and the parent group! Go M.C.!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 14 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #75

Really Comfortable

I did a look back on John Harrell's site of the all-time series between the Pirates and the Wolves and came up with these fun facts.

Merrillville has a lopsided 16-2 (.889) record and have been victorious in their last 12 match-ups. That losing streak extends under five different head at Michigan City.

The Pirates have outscored the Wolves a grotesque 599-159 all-time with four shutouts, Michigan City's worst of the brutal beat downs at the hands of Merrillville came with last season's 68-14 massacre @ Demaree Stadium. That followed a crushing 25-13 homecoming defeat in witnessed by just about entire community in 2009.

City's 2-16 (.111) overall is 1-8 at home and 1-8 on the road against Merrillville.

City's only two victories came in the consolidation year of 1995 19-13 @ Ames Field when Merrillville finished 5-5 and edged the Bucs 14-12 in 2000 @ Demaree Stadium when Merrillville finished 4-7.

These two teams played each other twice in the 2005 "Ryan Fics" year with City falling both times on the road 42-7 in the regular season and 49-7 in the sectional semi-final, The homestanding Merrillville Pirates ended up losing in the semi-state 17-7 to Hamilton Southeastern that season.

This season seems to be one of those uncharacteristically "down" years for the Pirates in which City might be able to pull out a low scoring affair.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Sep 14 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 14 2011, 01:01 PM) *

I did a look back on John Harrell's site of the all-time series between the Pirates and the Wolves, Merrillville has a lopsided 15-2 (.882) record and have been victorious in their last 11 match-ups under four different head coaches at Michigan City.

The Pirates have outscored the Wolves a grotesque 563-159 all-time with the worst Michigan City beat down at the hands of Merrillville coming with last season's 68-14 massacre @ Demaree Stadium.

City's (.118) overall is 1-7 at home and 1-8 on the road against Merrillville.

City's only two victories came in the consolidation year of 1995 19-13 @ Ames Field when Merrillville finished 5-5 and edged the Bucs 14-12 in 2000 @ Demaree Stadium when Merrillville finished 4-7.

These two teams played each other twice in the 2005 "Ryan Fics" year with City falling both times on the road 42-7 in the regular season and 49-7 in the sectional semi-final, Merrillville ended up losing in the semi-state 17-7 to Hamilton Southeastern that season.

This season seems to be one of those uncharacteristically "down" years for the Pirates in which City might be able to pull out a low scoring affair.

I agree with that last part. When I saw the Warren Central-Merrillville score, I didn't think much of it. WC is about the baddest team in all the land, after all. But the Pirates haven't played well since, either. I'm very interested to see this game Friday. Could be interesting.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Sep 15 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #77

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 14 2011, 05:17 PM) *

I agree with that last part. When I saw the Warren Central-Merrillville score, I didn't think much of it. WC is about the baddest team in all the land, after all. But the Pirates haven't played well since, either. I'm very interested to see this game Friday. Could be interesting.

Even though the outcomes of the games have not been in the Wolves favor--they have been competetive and interesting games. Last year the Freshmen beat Merrillville at home in a big upset. I am hoping that this will be the year and for homecoming it would be even more special. I know we will have another exciting game this Saturday on the road with the JV Team. They are wanting to stay undefeated and from here on out will be the true test. It would be nice to see a repeat of last year. I think Lake Central will be the most difficult team we will play this season. So on this last note for the day---GO WOLVES !!! Pull your heads up and remember there are 4 quarters---play every minute like it is the last and you are on that 1 yard line-4th down, this one will win the game !! Don't give up !!
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Sep 15 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #78

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Sep 15 2011, 12:12 PM) *

Even though the outcomes of the games have not been in the Wolves favor--they have been competetive and interesting games. Last year the Freshmen beat Merrillville at home in a big upset. I am hoping that this will be the year and for homecoming it would be even more special. I know we will have another exciting game this Saturday on the road with the JV Team. They are wanting to stay undefeated and from here on out will be the true test. It would be nice to see a repeat of last year. I think Lake Central will be the most difficult team we will play this season. So on this last note for the day---GO WOLVES !!! Pull your heads up and remember there are 4 quarters---play every minute like it is the last and you are on that 1 yard line-4th down, this one will win the game !! Don't give up !!

Actually what I meant was they beat them in Merrillville on their home field--Merrillville was at home--difficult to beat them on their home turf.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 15 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #79

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Sep 15 2011, 12:12 PM) *

Couldn't agree more. This team is fighting and clawing. It is also starting to clean up some of the silly mistakes they were making last year. Things like being out of position and running bad routes.

Their biggest problem this year has been tackling. I can't tell you how many times they have been in the right spot, and didn't finish the play.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Sep 15 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Sep 15 2011, 01:04 PM) *

Couldn't agree more. This team is fighting and clawing. It is also starting to clean up some of the silly mistakes they were making last year. Things like being out of position and running bad routes.

Their biggest problem this year has been tackling. I can't tell you how many times they have been in the right spot, and didn't finish the play.

Let me further that by saying tackling has been suspect but you have to be able to put consistent drives together which hasn't happened either. One feeds the other you can't move the ball the defense comes on the field, you can't stop the other team it puts more pressure on your offense to score. Vicious cycle.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:39 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com