> All is not well, ...at least according to a Gallup poll
IndyTransplant
post Mar 19 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 19 2009, 02:32 PM) *
So far we have managed to have a get together near the board's anniversary (12-11-06) for a "Meet & Greet". There are posts and pics in City Living ( http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....c=1847&st=0 ).

I think this year we might try something in warmer weather. wink.gif

That would be so nice and I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible. Are you coming to town this summer (maybe around your Birthday)? wink.gif

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 19 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #42

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Actually, it might be a short visit in May.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 19 2009, 11:20 AM) *

I am sorry you did not like Indianapolis. I am also sorry you based your opinion on your college years (4) when it sounds like you did not actually live there, but may have gone to college near there?
I lived there for 35 years and lived in several different neighborhoods and sides of town and loved the different experiences and different types of people this allowed me to interact with and learn from. Basically, your feelings about Indianapolis based on your 4 college years are influenced by what years those consisted of and what areas of Indianapolis you spent time in. Where did you go to college, when and what areas of Indy did you visit?

In particular your comment of "In general, I didn't like the way people who were different were looked at." totally surprises me. In what way were you or anyone else different? Indianapolis consists of wealthy, middle class and poor; Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics and Middle Easterners; old, young and middle aged people. Indianapolis is actually influenced by its status as a transplant city - people from all parts of the country and many immigrants have moved to and are now part of Indianapolis.
Your comment above, followed by this comment also confuses me. "I had multiple job offers in that area after college, and moved back home to a more comfortable environment. This region of the country is way more honest and open. Some people take it for rudeness, but I wouldn't have it any other way." It appears that some of that not liking the way "people who were different were looked at" was coming from your own self. You did not like the people in or around Indy that you perceived to be different from you. I really am not trying to be argumentative or rude, but these two statements have me totally confused.

IMO, Indianapolis is one of the largest small towns in America. It has the friendliness of a small town and the advantages of being one of the top twenty largest cities in this country. It is an unusual combination and I loved it.

Indianapolis has gone through some major changes over the last twenty years. It has rightfully shed its original image of Naptown and has expanded its entertainment, culture and business image and is still trying to do so (this at a time when some other cities are decaying and losing their downtowns).

No, Indianapolis is not Chicago and never will be.....it will never be able to offer the amount of entertainment, business and culture that Chicago does. By sheer size alone, it will never offer the amount of diversity Chicago offers. Indianapolis has less than 1 million people and Chicago has more than 5x that.

However (and this is a separate point) I do not think there is one Chicago "influence" nor is there one Indy "influence". Both these cities are made of of neighborhoods with different influences. Knowing several people in both cities who live in many different areas of both cities, you will get opinions based on where they live, work or visit. Even without going into specific neighborhoods, which will bring even more variety of opinion, living on the south side of Chicago is an entirely different experience from living on the north side, lakeshore (east) side or west side. I think, by the way you identify yourself as "southsider", that you already recognize this fact in Chicago. The same is true of Indy. Both cities are diverse in income, race and cultures. They are both cities and they offer the advantages of such, but they are also very different and as a consequence both are very valuable for opportunities and for growing experiences.

Why should there be a comparison between Indianapolis and Chicago? I was not trying to compare them. They are incomparable as they are different and that is the good thing. MC has the advantage of being able to experience the differences and gaining from them. My original point (many posts back) was not that MC should not relate to Chicago........ it should relate to Chicago.....however MC residents should also open their eyes to the benefits of their own capital city occasionally and not shun it or hate it.

I am an Indiana native and proud to be one. If I have one "influence", it is as a Hoosier. I was born in southern Indiana, lived the majority of my life in central Indiana and now am a northern Indiana resident. I have found by living in many Indiana towns, cities and areas and amongst many different original and transplanted residents, that the major Hoosier influence is one of friendliness and openness. The friendliness has been evident everywhere I have been in Indiana. I have also found openness everywhere....it may be expressed slightly differently but it is still overwhelmingly an open and honest attitude statewide. But then again all I can relate is my own experience. smile.gif

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 19 2009, 01:54 PM) *

I did forget one more thing I wanted to say also. Your opinion above about the honesty and openness in the NW Indiana/Chicago area has appeared in different wording in many posts by many different people in this forum. Your thoughts above are one example. kapkomet in an earlier post mentioned being " brutally honest" and there are many others, in many areas of the forum, relating the same idea. Since the idea appears so many times, it appears to me to go back to what Johnny Rush was talking about also. He mentioned how proud we seem to be, "bragging" he said, about our poor health habits. Many people also seem to be bragging about an honesty and openness "that some people could take it for rudeness" or "brutal honesty".

I applaud openness and honesty. I appreciate openness and honesty. I consider myself to be an open, honest person, but I hope I am also a friendly, and even sometimes a tactful person. As a good example, this post is not the most tactful I have ever posted, but may well border on the brutal honesty that seems to be most appreciated here. ohmy.gif However I do not think brutal honesty is the only way to truly be open and honest. And although I do not myself practice it enough, I do also appreciate a little humility now & then.
Different strokes for different folks.

In response to Ang's "Amen" and lament that she can not tell for sure where she stands with people in her new area. ....to be totally honest and so you all know where you stand with me....I like all of you (from what I know of you through this forum) and I love the debates and honest airing of thoughts, ideas and feelings that is apparent in this forum. Sometimes, possibly, a little more tact could be employed at times, but overall "it is what it is" here and I appreciate it. I hope to meet you all in person some day soon.

Please do not feel you have to respond with how I stand with each of you, my feelings are a little tender today and I am not sure I can take that much brutal honesty. unsure.gif

The first thing that I want to clear up is the "southsider" moniker. I do have family that came from the south side, but I my other side of the family came from up north in some of the German and Polish areas of Chicago. The name is totally a reference to my proud White Sox baseball fandom. It's one of the things that makes me, me, and I use it as an ID a lot.

To be clear, I am as white as white comes, so no the problems were not mine personally. I went to college in North Manchester Indiana, in the mid 90's. I went to college with a bunch of people from Indy. I also spent lots of time in Indy as many of the activities I was involved in took place there. I always got the feeling of small town Indiana in Indianapolis, and in many ways that is a good thing. But in my observations I saw more racism in the few years down there, than I did in my life here. Granted it wasn't towards me specifically, but I saw enough. Being raised in City, I obviously grew up around a lot of people who didn't look like me at all. It never struck me as particularly odd, because it had always been that way. In college that didn't change for me, and I had friends of all races. Some of the things I saw done to them, and heard said to, and about them were just appalling. Not only was some of it just bold, but the overt racism I saw was so ingrained into everyday life, that it didn't seem odd to the majority of people I observed.

In my feelings, I believe that suburban areas tend to take on many characteristics of moods of their bigger urban area. There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country. I felt something different in Indy. Granted there are different feelings in specific areas and neighborhoods of Chicago, but the city has its own personality that is completely unique. What is socially acceptable is an area, is a part of that personality. In the Chicago area, racism isn't an accepted part of life for most because most people don't come from homo genus areas, like people in the Indianapolis area do. There are still good old fashioned Klan towns within less than an hours driving distance of Indy. I don't think you can say that up here.

Maybe it was just bad experiences, maybe it has changed, but I just didn't like the feeling of that area. The racism really, really bothered me.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 20 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

There are some people who think anyone south of 39 is either a hick or a racist smile.gif

Isn't there a big Klan community around Bloomington? I remember when my daughter went to IU and spoke about those areas.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 20 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

I believe the town she was talking about was Martinsville.

I think the folks around here are pretty tolerant. I'm happy about that.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 20 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Mar 20 2009, 12:28 PM) *

The first thing that I want to clear up is the "southsider" moniker. I do have family that came from the south side, but I my other side of the family came from up north in some of the German and Polish areas of Chicago. The name is totally a reference to my proud White Sox baseball fandom. It's one of the things that makes me, me, and I use it as an ID a lot.

To be clear, I am as white as white comes, so no the problems were not mine personally. I went to college in North Manchester Indiana, in the mid 90's. I went to college with a bunch of people from Indy. I also spent lots of time in Indy as many of the activities I was involved in took place there. I always got the feeling of small town Indiana in Indianapolis, and in many ways that is a good thing. But in my observations I saw more racism in the few years down there, than I did in my life here. Granted it wasn't towards me specifically, but I saw enough. Being raised in City, I obviously grew up around a lot of people who didn't look like me at all. It never struck me as particularly odd, because it had always been that way. In college that didn't change for me, and I had friends of all races. Some of the things I saw done to them, and heard said to, and about them were just appalling. Not only was some of it just bold, but the overt racism I saw was so ingrained into everyday life, that it didn't seem odd to the majority of people I observed.

In my feelings, I believe that suburban areas tend to take on many characteristics of moods of their bigger urban area. There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country. I felt something different in Indy. Granted there are different feelings in specific areas and neighborhoods of Chicago, but the city has its own personality that is completely unique. What is socially acceptable is an area, is a part of that personality. In the Chicago area, racism isn't an accepted part of life for most because most people don't come from homo genus areas, like people in the Indianapolis area do. There are still good old fashioned Klan towns within less than an hours driving distance of Indy. I don't think you can say that up here.

Maybe it was just bad experiences, maybe it has changed, but I just didn't like the feeling of that area. The racism really, really bothered me.

That info helps some. ....North Manchester Indiana is not close to Indianapolis, and I still do not know where you visited in Indianapolis. Are you saying these Indianapolis residents you went to school with had racist attitudes?

Indianapolis is not even close to a "homo genus" community nor are there an overwhelming number of "homo genus" neighborhoods.

I also grew up with a lot of people who do not look like me (both racially, culturally and heightwise biggrin.gif ). Having spent 35 years in Indy, I do not think and never felt that racism is an OVERALL attitude there. I myself am also white, but attended a Black Lutheran church and also had many black friends all my life (from when I lived in Columbus through when I lived in Indy). I did live in an area for a time that was more largely populated by whites (but there were some Blacks, Indians, Hispanics and others there also), but in that area you were more likely to not be accepted because you were a newbie (not a 3-5 generation area resident) than due to your race or any other prejudice. In fact you got that attitude from the 3-5 generation minority residents in the area also. (I have felt a little of that "newbie" prejudice moving here to MC also).

That is not to say that there are not neighborhoods that are populated more heavily with people who have personal racist attitudes. There certainly are....there are some neighborhoods that are heavily white that have people with racist attitudes towards blacks, as well as some neighborhoods that are heavily black that have some racist attitude towards whites (and Hispanics now). You will not convince me that some of those neighborhoods do not also exist in areas of Chicago nor can you convince me that there are no racist people in Chicago. I have my own personal experiences in Chicago and from Chicago residents to the contrary. (There are racist people everywhere and people with other prejudices also).

However again I do not think that racism is the majority attitude in Indianapolis (or Chicago) For the most part, Indianapolis is well integrated (although again there are pockets). Most parts of Indy, and to an even greater extent downtown Indianapolis where most visitors go, are so diverse racially, culturally, age and income wise and all have been peacefully living together for years and interacting socially, not just keeping to themselves. Most of the near suburban areas are also diverse and fairly harmonious (they are more likely to fight over kids than race). Actually some of the neighborhoods here in MC do not seem to be as diverse.

There are areas that some people include in the Indianapolis (metro) area (other counties) that are not as harmonious as Indy. But those are not Indianapolis and are not included in Indianapolis population nor do they pay Indianapolis or Marion County taxes. Some of the surrounding counties are made up of people who were of that mind in the first place (that attitude did not stem from Indianapolis - many of those areas were founded even prior to Indianapolis) and were further populated by people in the "white flight" category. There were also people of all races who moved out of Marion County/Indianapolis to the north who were of the "income flight" category (preferring only to socialize with people of their upper income level). Most of us who remained in Indianapolis, were more than happy to see those taking flight away from Indianapolis, go.... and don't let the door hit them on the behind on the way out. wink.gif
BTW, NW Indiana has had in the past it's own white and income flight (flight out of Gary and other areas into Merrillvillle and Valparaiso for example). Racism (and many other forms of prejudice) exist and they still exist everywhere (and IMO they will exist as long as human beings exist since these attitudes are often transferred down and over). Great strides have been made, but I do not know if it will ever be eradicated.

My request is this - don't ascribe a racist attitude to an entire population from encountering the personal prejudices or attitudes of some of the residents. Personally how would we all feel if someone visits here and then goes home to tell everyone that Michigan City is a bunch of troublemaking union people. Don't laugh....I have already had to defend the population of MC based on errant information.

and FYI, I have seen, heard, witnessed and personally been exposed to some of those same racist attitudes you ascribe to Indianapolis right here in MC ....and sorry - but also in Chicago) ,,,,the difference is I attributed those occasions as that person or those particular people's personal prejudices and did not automatically think that it was the prevailing attitude of the city.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 20 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

I just wanted to make another comment or two. I love a good debate, can you tell smile.gif .

You also said "In my feelings, I believe that suburban areas tend to take on many characteristics of moods of their bigger urban area. There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country."

I cannot agree with that theory (even for some of the Chicago suburbs). In some cases, suburbs are formed in direct reaction to the urban area they are closest to. They still want to be close to the jobs and other amenities a big city offers, but do not want to live like the big city residents or sometimes with some of the big city residents.

and finally you said " There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country........... In the Chicago area, racism isn't an accepted part of life for most because most people don't come from homo genus areas."

Unfortunately you, I and most adults know that racism exists and therefore in one way, it is an accepted part of life. But I do not believe acting out of racism is an acceptable way of life in most areas of this country and it certainly is not an acceptable way of life for most Indianapolis residents. I also know (from personal experience) that Chicago is not exempt from racism.

I can tell you a tale of one of the most non-homo genus areas of this country. It is called Montgomery County, Maryland. You may have heard of it....they had sniper attacks there several years ago that became an extremely big national news story. (My daughter happened to live there at that time.....but that is another story wink.gif ). Montgomery County is one of the most culturally, racially and income diverse areas of the entire USA. There are over 120 separate languages spoken in the Montgomery County public schools and many of their families do not speak English at all. I would not say racism is an accepted way of life there and many residents are horrified by it, but it exists and exists openly.

"Homo genus" areas do not necessarily begat racism and "non-homo genus areas" are not necessarily exempted from it or immune to it.
Prejudices are personal and there are people everywhere.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 20 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 20 2009, 12:54 PM) *
There are some people who think anyone south of 39 is either a hick or a racist smile.gif

Isn't there a big Klan community around Bloomington? I remember when my daughter went to IU and spoke about those areas.

Many people on the east and west coasts (and many areas in between) believe ALL of Indiana residents are hicks. Many Indiana residents think ALL of Kentucky's residents are hicks. Many people throughout the country think ALL of Arkansas residents are hicks and according to the national news media during the campaign, evidently President Obama also thought central Pennsylvania residents (or small town America) cling to their guns and their Bibles. We all have our own prejudices.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 20 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 20 2009, 01:36 PM) *
I believe the town she was talking about was Martinsville.

I think the folks around here are pretty tolerant. I'm happy about that.

I believe it is true that Martinsville early on had a strong base of KKK members. In the 1920's it had a definite stronghold and presence. However even Martinsville is not all white anymore and I would not say that all or even a majority of it's current residents would find that acceptable behavior now.

EDIT: I edited this to add the comment that personal experiences and even news reports during the last Presidential campaign could lead one to the conclusion that in the Martinsville of today, sexism and ageism may be much larger issues there now than racism. During this last campaign when national news reporters went to Martinsville (because of their early reputation of being a KKK town), the overwhelming response from the "man" on the street was leaning toward Obama.....because McCain was too old and Clinton is a woman.
dry.gif

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 22 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

This may be the wrong area to post this, but I am posting this here partially because of the back and forth posts between Southsider and I about Chicago and Indianapolis. It is no surprise that we both love the areas where we have spent so much of our lives and that as insiders (Southsider in Chicago and myself in Indianapolis), we would have different viewpoints of them based on our experiences.

That is exactly what makes this forum so great. It allows all of us to state and defend our viewpoints and also to learn something from others' viewpoints. I am writing this to thank Southsider and all of you for creating and populating this forum. What a wonderful opportunity this is to truly get to know people before you have ever seen them in person.

I am really looking forward to meeting you all in person. biggrin.gif

Please check the thread on Group Nights and let's see if we can arrange some fun get togethers so I can meet you all sooner rather than later.....and don't forget that Ang may also be here soon - sometime in May, I think whe said.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 22 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #51

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 19 2009, 04:53 PM) *

Actually, it might be a short visit in May.

Be warned, if you bring snow. It is my job to remove you from the State!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 22 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 20 2009, 04:47 PM) *

I believe it is true that Martinsville early on had a strong base of KKK members. In the 1920's it had a definite stronghold and presence. However even Martinsville is not all white anymore and I would not say that all or even a majority of it's current residents would find that acceptable behavior now.

EDIT: I edited this to add the comment that personal experiences and even news reports during the last Presidential campaign could lead one to the conclusion that in the Martinsville of today, sexism and ageism may be much larger issues there now than racism. During this last campaign when national news reporters went to Martinsville (because of their early reputation of being a KKK town), the overwhelming response from the "man" on the street was leaning toward Obama.....because McCain was too old and Clinton is a woman.
dry.gif

I think it still is a quiet "cell" of low lying KKK members. Most have to adjust to today's world. smile.gif
I still can appreciate your perspective IT. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 22 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 22 2009, 01:40 PM) *

I think it still is a quiet "cell" of low lying KKK members. Most have to adjust to today's world. smile.gif
I still can appreciate your perspective IT. smile.gif

You are quite correct. In fact they may be quiet in action, but not in name - there is actually a KKK social club there, I have heard. blink.gif

I believe there are probably many low lying cells of closet KKK members across the country, possibly even around MC somewhere (noting the noose incident at the Blue Chip construction site last year).

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 22 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Mar 22 2009, 12:38 PM) *

Be warned, if you bring snow. It is my job to remove you from the State!

laugh.gif You're so funny!

I promise to leave the snow here next time.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 23 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 20 2009, 02:55 PM) *

That info helps some. ....North Manchester Indiana is not close to Indianapolis, and I still do not know where you visited in Indianapolis. Are you saying these Indianapolis residents you went to school with had racist attitudes?

Indianapolis is not even close to a "homo genus" community nor are there an overwhelming number of "homo genus" neighborhoods.

I also grew up with a lot of people who do not look like me (both racially, culturally and heightwise biggrin.gif ). Having spent 35 years in Indy, I do not think and never felt that racism is an OVERALL attitude there. I myself am also white, but attended a Black Lutheran church and also had many black friends all my life (from when I lived in Columbus through when I lived in Indy). I did live in an area for a time that was more largely populated by whites (but there were some Blacks, Indians, Hispanics and others there also), but in that area you were more likely to not be accepted because you were a newbie (not a 3-5 generation area resident) than due to your race or any other prejudice. In fact you got that attitude from the 3-5 generation minority residents in the area also. (I have felt a little of that "newbie" prejudice moving here to MC also).

That is not to say that there are not neighborhoods that are populated more heavily with people who have personal racist attitudes. There certainly are....there are some neighborhoods that are heavily white that have people with racist attitudes towards blacks, as well as some neighborhoods that are heavily black that have some racist attitude towards whites (and Hispanics now). You will not convince me that some of those neighborhoods do not also exist in areas of Chicago nor can you convince me that there are no racist people in Chicago. I have my own personal experiences in Chicago and from Chicago residents to the contrary. (There are racist people everywhere and people with other prejudices also).

However again I do not think that racism is the majority attitude in Indianapolis (or Chicago) For the most part, Indianapolis is well integrated (although again there are pockets). Most parts of Indy, and to an even greater extent downtown Indianapolis where most visitors go, are so diverse racially, culturally, age and income wise and all have been peacefully living together for years and interacting socially, not just keeping to themselves. Most of the near suburban areas are also diverse and fairly harmonious (they are more likely to fight over kids than race). Actually some of the neighborhoods here in MC do not seem to be as diverse.

There are areas that some people include in the Indianapolis (metro) area (other counties) that are not as harmonious as Indy. But those are not Indianapolis and are not included in Indianapolis population nor do they pay Indianapolis or Marion County taxes. Some of the surrounding counties are made up of people who were of that mind in the first place (that attitude did not stem from Indianapolis - many of those areas were founded even prior to Indianapolis) and were further populated by people in the "white flight" category. There were also people of all races who moved out of Marion County/Indianapolis to the north who were of the "income flight" category (preferring only to socialize with people of their upper income level). Most of us who remained in Indianapolis, were more than happy to see those taking flight away from Indianapolis, go.... and don't let the door hit them on the behind on the way out. wink.gif
BTW, NW Indiana has had in the past it's own white and income flight (flight out of Gary and other areas into Merrillvillle and Valparaiso for example). Racism (and many other forms of prejudice) exist and they still exist everywhere (and IMO they will exist as long as human beings exist since these attitudes are often transferred down and over). Great strides have been made, but I do not know if it will ever be eradicated.

My request is this - don't ascribe a racist attitude to an entire population from encountering the personal prejudices or attitudes of some of the residents. Personally how would we all feel if someone visits here and then goes home to tell everyone that Michigan City is a bunch of troublemaking union people. Don't laugh....I have already had to defend the population of MC based on errant information.

and FYI, I have seen, heard, witnessed and personally been exposed to some of those same racist attitudes you ascribe to Indianapolis right here in MC ....and sorry - but also in Chicago) ,,,,the difference is I attributed those occasions as that person or those particular people's personal prejudices and did not automatically think that it was the prevailing attitude of the city.

Like I said, it wasn't just a one time thing. It was four years worth of experiences. I wouldn't really take a single occurence and make it into a full directive. I got it from lots of people, lots of trips, and lots of uncomfortable circumstances.

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 20 2009, 04:31 PM) *

I just wanted to make another comment or two. I love a good debate, can you tell smile.gif .

You also said "In my feelings, I believe that suburban areas tend to take on many characteristics of moods of their bigger urban area. There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country."

I cannot agree with that theory (even for some of the Chicago suburbs). In some cases, suburbs are formed in direct reaction to the urban area they are closest to. They still want to be close to the jobs and other amenities a big city offers, but do not want to live like the big city residents or sometimes with some of the big city residents.

and finally you said " There is definitely a feel to Chicago and its suburbs that I haven't seen anywhere else in the country........... In the Chicago area, racism isn't an accepted part of life for most because most people don't come from homo genus areas."

Unfortunately you, I and most adults know that racism exists and therefore in one way, it is an accepted part of life. But I do not believe acting out of racism is an acceptable way of life in most areas of this country and it certainly is not an acceptable way of life for most Indianapolis residents. I also know (from personal experience) that Chicago is not exempt from racism.

I can tell you a tale of one of the most non-homo genus areas of this country. It is called Montgomery County, Maryland. You may have heard of it....they had sniper attacks there several years ago that became an extremely big national news story. (My daughter happened to live there at that time.....but that is another story wink.gif ). Montgomery County is one of the most culturally, racially and income diverse areas of the entire USA. There are over 120 separate languages spoken in the Montgomery County public schools and many of their families do not speak English at all. I would not say racism is an accepted way of life there and many residents are horrified by it, but it exists and exists openly.

"Homo genus" areas do not necessarily begat racism and "non-homo genus areas" are not necessarily exempted from it or immune to it.
Prejudices are personal and there are people everywhere.

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 22 2009, 09:51 AM) *

This may be the wrong area to post this, but I am posting this here partially because of the back and forth posts between Southsider and I about Chicago and Indianapolis. It is no surprise that we both love the areas where we have spent so much of our lives and that as insiders (Southsider in Chicago and myself in Indianapolis), we would have different viewpoints of them based on our experiences.

That is exactly what makes this forum so great. It allows all of us to state and defend our viewpoints and also to learn something from others' viewpoints. I am writing this to thank Southsider and all of you for creating and populating this forum. What a wonderful opportunity this is to truly get to know people before you have ever seen them in person.

I am really looking forward to meeting you all in person. biggrin.gif

Please check the thread on Group Nights and let's see if we can arrange some fun get togethers so I can meet you all sooner rather than later.....and don't forget that Ang may also be here soon - sometime in May, I think whe said.

I like the discussion, plus I don't offend very easily. I don't really hold grudges either. I have enjoyed the conversation.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 23 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Mar 23 2009, 07:09 AM) *

Like I said, it wasn't just a one time thing. It was four years worth of experiences. I wouldn't really take a single occurence and make it into a full directive. I got it from lots of people, lots of trips, and lots of uncomfortable circumstances.

I like the discussion, plus I don't offend very easily. I don't really hold grudges either. I have enjoyed the conversation.

I also enjoyed our conversation and have to admit it is and was a shock to hear you say that it was a continual occurrence. Although you have never said where in Indy you were so massively exposed to this, I am going to have to guess that in that many trips there, you were not always visiting the same neighborhoods. So since it appears you were constantly exposed to this, I can only say that I am shocked, surprised and very sorry....especially since it tainted your view of the entire city and all of its residents.

Obviously your experience and mine do not even come close to matching. I lived there on many sides of town and lived and worked in many areas for over 30 years and still do not believe it is a "racist" city. It has made me very sad that your experiences 15 or so years ago, were so life altering, that it left you with such an obvious bad taste for an entire area and all of its residents. (Unfortunately it is sometimes other people's life altering experiences that led them to forms of racism, sexism and other "isms" also..... and sometimes it is just a learned or absorbed hate).

Racism and other forms of hate and/or putting people down (sometimes only for the purpose of elevating themselves) exists everywhere - in Indianapolis, NW Indiana and Chicago.
All of my life I have been a vocal protester and educator against racism (from any race against another) and any hint of racist (or "hate" of any type) talk with anyone I know and even occasionally with strangers, if I thought I wasn't in physical danger to do so and thought it might possibly make a difference in someone's thinking.

I protest against degrading and/or labeling or assigning characteristics or stereotypes to whole groups whether based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, familial status, weight, height or the city they live in.

I also don't hold grudges....there is nothing to hold a grudge against that I can see. It has been a good discussion and one that has made me very sad.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 23 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #57

GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 24 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 23 2009, 11:19 AM) *
GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for starting the GROUP HUG!!!!! We can always use more of those biggrin.gif

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Michelle
post Mar 24 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

IPB Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:19 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com